346XP OE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJM268

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just found a used low hour 346XP OE for sale for $300. Owner says he tuned it last winter and it is setup for cold weather. Something bugs me about people constantly tuning saws, would it really need a winter and summer tune? I am worried that the owner has no tach and really has no idea what he is doing causing a lean running condition on the saw which is likely 15 years old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

According to the owner’s manual (page 35) for a temp of 0F or colder you twist the winter flap inside the cylinder cover so that preheated air from the cylinder will prevent icing of the carburetor. For temps -5F or colder or snow you can purchase a special cover for the starter housing and a winter plug for the air nozzle. These prevent snow from being sucked into the carb. These accessories must be removed if the temp rises above 0F or the saw can overheat causing severe internal damage. I own several 346xp and have never done either of these things when cutting in the winter. I have also never had a problem.

He has had 6 people interested already in one day on FB marketplace. $250 seems like a better price to me. He is including a case however.

So offer him $250 and see what he says but if all those people are willing to pay $300 your not gonna get the saw.
He has had 6 people interested already in one day on FB marketplace. $250 seems like a better price to me. He is including a case however.

The best advice I’ve been given growing up, by those much wiser than me; “There will always be a better deal, it just depends on how patient you want to be”.

I buy what I want when I want it typically. Which means I don’t *typically wait to get deals on stuff. Sooooo which boat are you in?

Just found a used low hour 346XP OE for sale for $300. Owner says he tuned it last winter and it is setup for cold weather. Something bugs me about people constantly tuning saws, would it really need a winter and summer tune? I am worried that the owner has no tach and really has no idea what he is doing causing a lean running condition on the saw which is likely 15 years old.

See if he will let you remove the muffler for a look, problem solved. Cold air is denser, makes more hp and needs more fuel.

If the owner didn't know what he was doing then I highly doubt he would have known enough to retune the saw accordingly. At this price the main thing you might want to be concerned with is what the cost of NE top end swap will be.

Meeting in person tomorrow to look at the saw. I gave my dad a 346XP OE many years ago when I worked at a dealer and his runs now like the day I took it out of the box.

If the owner didn't know what he was doing then I highly doubt he would have known enough to retune the saw accordingly. At this price the main thing you might want to be concerned with is what the cost of NE top end swap will be.

Good point on owner knowledge. Don't know if it's a good idea to pay the premium for a running OE if planning to buy an NE kit when other donors are so cheap.

I have a couple of ne 346’s and a couple of saws with ne top ends. But I’ll take my oe any day , even if it’s 5cc smaller. Must be in the porting or something. I wish husqvarna still made the oe p/c, snooze you looze

I am worried that the owner has no tach and really has no idea what he is doing causing a lean running condition on the saw which is likely 15 years old.

It would appear you are the one who doesnt know whats goin on lol.

Latest posts

Back