346XP Oil Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula_pilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 346XP NE that is about 6 months old. It has been sitting Since June (in a hot loft above garage), and I just picked it up and found a puddle of bar oil under it. I expect old saws to leak, but is this typical for a 346XP? I do not really care that much, but it means I have to be careful where I put that saw down.

Thanks
Bill

Both my Huskys leave a little oil where they've been sittin, but not a puddle.

Might have been the excessive heat? Mine stay in the shop at normal temps.
In the AC lately. :)

If its up high, its because of the heat. When the temp rises the oil expands and leaks out through the oiler. If your worried about it making a mess, drain it before you put it away.

Yes, it is up high, pretty warm up there. I drain the gas when it will be sitting for more than a few weeks, but would rather leave the oil in it. Would leaving the oil cap loose prevent the oil from being pushed out in the warm temps?

Yes, it is up high, pretty warm up there. I drain the gas when it will be sitting for more than a few weeks, but would rather leave the oil in it. Would leaving the oil cap loose prevent the oil from being pushed out in the warm temps?

Would make it worse. Store your saw where it's not so hot.

I dont think it will necessarily make it worse to leave the cap cracked open but if you have the oil level low enough that you could crack the cap and not have it leak there you will probably have less leaking anyway. In my experience a full or nearly full tank will generally leak, at least to some degree, overtime.

Even a simple thing like like opening the cap and close it again will help some, as will cleaning away excess oil in the bar mount area.

Hot places should of course be avoided for storage!

Back