346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious. I'm looking for a 346xp, not familiar with husky saws, have ran stihl mostly, I have looked at some and some say e tech and some don't. Is one more desirable than the other? I've seen most of the ported saws were the pre e tech if I'm not mistaken. Is there a considerable difference between the two? Thanks Nathon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disregarding muffler changes, there are two husky 346 models. Known as NE and OE on here.
OE is original edition, 45cc and no decomp button.
NE is new edition, 50cc and decomp button.
Decomp is irrelevant - just an easy way to tell at a glance.
OE is a little revvier, NE is a little torquier. Both have similar outright performance, ported or not. Both weigh the same. If you are looking second hand I would choose on condition, rather than model.

Good luck!

I think there were a few OE's with decomp. The sidecover isn't always a giveaway either from memory, some OE's had the grey too. I've had a couple of each, will have to put them on the scales because the OE (with same bar/chain combo) sure feels lighter. I prefer the OE myself

The e-tech always really was an option, but most saws imported to the US around 2007/2008 were the e-tech model (to "score" better "points" related to the EPA). The only real difference was the cat muffler on the e-tech saws.

The NE saws are those that were made 2007 week 19 or later. Apart from the serial number, the safest way to tell the NE ones from the OE ones is that the NE has a primer bulb and a decomp. However, as parts may have been changed out, you really never can be 100% sure with a used saw, without knowing its history.

Decomps could be retrofitted on the OE, but I don't think they ever left the factory with one, and have never seen one with it.

Back