346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepm@n

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husqvarna 346XP with a 16" bar. I have been running a 21LPX072G Oregon chain on it. I have owned this saw since 2010 and have cut over 80 pulp cord of oak firewood with it. I am on my second bar and 5th chain. I keep a minimum of 3 chains going or usable at a time. My friend had a 455 Rancher Husky and it had substantially larger teeth. My saw took close to the same time to zip a 12" log. We cut for 4 hours. I had to stop 3 times to touch up my chain and refuel he stopped once for a chain touch up and refuel. I stop to touch up the chain when I see fine saw dust and not sliver size chips.

Is there a better chain that lasts longer yet cuts as fast?

How much life is in a saw before it needs a piston kit? I know there are many variables

Is a 18" bar a better setup for this saw?

I only own one running saw. I did have an old Stihl 024 with a 14" bar given to me but I couldn't get it to fire up. Is this worth repairing?

I have very little knowledge on chainsaws. Please help a newb.

You sure you didn't just cut a lot more wood than he did in that 4 hours? You could run an 18" bar if you feel you need to. Best way to tell if you need a piston kit would be to do a compression test. Your dealer could do it pretty easily I would think. The 024 is probably worth getting fixed. Hard to say without knowing more about it though.

I dunno if your buddys saw is set up for 3/8" chain, and yours being set up for .325 chain would at least partially explain the difference in sharpening needs. Pull the muffler and look at piston. That will give you a good idea of top end condition ( machine marks visible on piston, scuffing/scoring etc...). I would rock a 16" bar on that thing all day.

21LPX072G is an 18" chain - .325 pitch, .058 ga. Are you sure you have a 16" bar?

20-series chain is a good choice for a 346. 13, 15, or 16" bars would be my choice for that saw. The sharpening interval is hard to say - if you hit debris and he didn't, that would explain why you sharpened more.

Back