346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie_up

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am relatively new to the saw market but from what I've read the Husky 346xp sounds like the one I want. I will mainly be using it for cutting firewood, both for home use and camping.

The price at Alamia is $355 but I may spend a little extra and get it locally... I like the fact that I can sent it to a saw tuner and get it hopped up. Is it worth the extra $$ to get it done from the start?

Some posts mention this saw isn't real good for novices? Why?

Hi Willie, the 346 is a very good choice as is the 357, which I prefer. Both saws are highly tunable and respond well. Dennis and Dan Henry have done lots of them for us on this site. Muffler work is enough to get the saw up and talking if you use LG or RS 3/8 pitch. Get a 15" bar for either saw if possible, more power, less wear, plus it shows you dont subcribe to little saw, big bar ethic, which is really a Puss N' Boots mentality.
This is just an opinion from an Eastern Stubble Jumper and not to be construed as that of a West Coast Woodtick.
Clearwater Scott H20 made mention of a 346 XPG Sno Pro, which is what I wish I had. My favourite all around saw is really the 357 XPG by Dennis ,and why wouldnt it be? Keep the chain sharp or you end up cutting "Summer Wood", some are this long, some are that long.
Martha Summers

Is the only difference between the 346XP and 346 XPG Sno Pro the heated handle?

Aslo how do I get in touch with Dennis?

I am waiting for a response from dozerdan on his saws.

Is having a saw tuned up worth the extra $$$$ ????? well...... YES!!!

willie_up
Send me another email,I must have deleted yours when I was getting rid of some spam mail.
I can sell you a new 346XP with 16" bar and chain for 340. and I have them in stock.
200. for the PP process plus 20. shipping.
Later
Dan

willie_up,

Yup, the 346XPG only has heated handles, not a heated carb.
I don't think they are making the saw anymore, mine was a
brand new 1999, purchased in late 2002. I love the saw, mine
was done by Walkers saw shop. I am but a weekend weasel and
do not make my living with a saw, so you will want to look to the
pros for sound advice. Gypo, RockyJ, Ryan, Jokers, these guys
use the saws day in and out, and would know the good and
bad much better than myself.
That said, the Walkers job is great for a guy like me, but doing
it over, I would send the saw to one of the three DN's, Denn, Dan,
or Dunn. They will realize more out of the saw. Once you run a
modded saw, you will want little to do with stock saws. Makes the
work go quicker, which for anyone is important.
Below are my two sno saws, the strange German model on the
right is going into the box, and up to Dennis for a little work.
I would also recommend the heated handles to anyone.
Do a search, you will find gobs of info on the 346. Great saw.
Keep your chain sharp, and don't lean on it.

Originally posted by ClearH20Scott
willie_up,

Yup, the 346XPG only has heated handles, not a heated carb.
I don't think they are making the saw anymore

You mean the 346 period, or just the XPG? Certainly they are still making the 346XP, not sure on the XPG

Huskyman,

Just the XPG, it isn't listed as available in the 2003 manual. I'm
sure there are quite a few out in the system yet, but I'm guessing
that it just wasn't popular enough in the U.S. to continue with it.

The 346 cuts good stock, no doubt about it! I've just had quite a few problems with mine, as to wither or not its representive of all husky's is unlikely. As for the availbility of the 346xpg I belive my dealer can still get them, not sure but I'll check this week. Get it tuned and you won't regret it!!!

Elaborate please...

"I've just had quite a few problems with mine,"

Ryan, you've alluded to your "problems" and dissatisfaction in more than a couple of threads but you never seem to share any info with us, even when asked.

Please enlighten us current 346 owners as well as any potential owners. Pretty Please??:D

My first " woods modified" saw was a 346 done by Walkers and I fell in love instantly. I`d run stock 346s and know what they are about. Little did I know that Dennis would soon be bumping it out of the limelight by building my 357. It revs just as fast and sweet as a 346 and it`s got tons more balls. I`d like to try a 346 done by Dennis, Ken, or Dan but I just don`t need another small saw right now. Now I`m wondering how a PP460 Mag would compare to my KD372. The new 460 revs right up, unlike the first 046s, and seems like it will be a nice saw when it`s broken in.

I`d say get it modified right now if the budget allows.

Russ

Newfie, I have stated my problems with my 346xp and several people have emailed me and asked and I have told them..... YOU never emailed me nor asked me any ANYOTHER thread!!! the problems were with the ignition, the boot, I had an air leak and the wire for the "kill'' switch kept coming unplugged untill I took the JB Weld to it:D I checked with my dealer and I was wrong you can't get the 346xp anymore (at least his book doesn't show it!)

Hey Ben, I would cause an uproar if I told you what I paid for the 260 Pro I had Dennis build, actually bought two at that time. The 460, well there`s a new Stihl dealer near me who wanted to sell me a saw real bad, bad enough that he was quite a bit cheaper than the prices you guys were quoting awhile ago, I`ll tell you offline since I don`t believe that I could sell any saws for these prices.

Ryan, don`t get your undies in a knot! I know that I have asked you what the problems were and you never replied. Sounds like you got a real lemon and I know that inexplicably it sometimes happens that one person will have all manner of trouble with a saw while noone else really does. Sorry to hear that you have had to take one for the team. I still like the 346 better than the 026.

Seems odd that your dealer can`t get 346s, there is no shortage of them in Central New York and no indication that they will be discontinued. Time will tell.

Russ

Sorry Russ, glad you caught my mistake!! I meant that his book didn't show the 346xpg (heated handles) as availble anymore. As for responding to email, I have been in and out of town for the last three months as I have been working on a timber contract in Va. I know that several people emailed me with questions about the 346xp problems that I had and as I recall one of them was slowtouqe and I replied.:angel:

Thanks to all for your help...

I ended up ordering the 346xp from dozerdan all ready to go with the PP process. He had the saw in stock so I could get everything done at once.

I can't wait to get it!!!

Thanks again... I'll probably have more questions later.

willie_up
Your PP346 is finished,I will get it shipped out ASAP.
Brian
I never have a PP346 here long enough to run 5 tanks of fuel through them.How much better do they run after they are broke in?
Ryan
I dont know how the 3/8 chain works on a stock 346 but they pull the 3/8 just fine after porting.
I did play with both chain set ups one day on the same PP346.In 6" diameter Red Oak the 3/8 was faster then the .325.In 12" Red Oak the .325 was slightly faster and felt smoother in the cut.If you are just cutting fire wood,I would say use the chain that you like or the one that you have the most of.
If I ever get to keep a 346 for myself,it will have 3/8, only because I hate working a file in the smaller tooth for the first sharpening.
Later
Dan

ClearH20Scott
I just wanted to say that I liked your comment about the three DN's,I never thought about that one.
Dennis,Dunn and I give a new meaning to,3D.
Later
Dan

You know I'll be watching for the UPS guy!!! :blob2: :blob2:

Dan - did you send it to my work address (SLC) or home (Layton)?

So once I get the saw what is the best way to break it in? I know on my bikes I run through a 2 1/2 gallon tank before opening it up all the way and vary the throttle not letting it stay at one rpm for very long. I'll ride for about 10 min. at a time then let it cool then start over again. I've noticed in other post people let it idle for a tank, is this a good idea?

Thanks! :D

Latest posts

Back