$35.00 to spend, buy a Homelite, McCulloch or Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
Saw an ad on Craigslist yesterday where a fellow was advertising all sorts of tools, mostly for the construction trades. He indicated he had some chain saws, so I called. He was vague about what he had, no model numbers, but said he had 4 and they included a Homelite, McCulloch and a Stihl and they could each be had for $35.00.

Since he was only a mile from where I work I stopped by at lunch. Turns out he was a 65 year old man who has diabetes and has suffered 4 heart attacks who is disposing of a lifetime accumulation of stuff. When he opened the shed there was just a path up the middle and he was able to find 3 saws, a 33 cc Homelite, a small McCulloch (perhaps a 160) and a Stihl MS200T. He offered me all three for $75.00, but I made the judicious choice the bring home just the Stihl.

Pulled on it half a dozen times and it fired right up. Sorry for the poor pictures, but with my move I only had my phone available. This is almost as good as my $45.00 026.

MS200Tleft.jpg

MS200Tright.jpg

MS200Ttop.jpg

Looks like it should clean up satisfactorily for the price.

Clang!

That's the sound the needle made when it spun around and hit the stop at "10" on the you suck 0 meter!

Although, of all your scores and loot/ old neat stuff you have shown so far, I like your Avanti the best....

I feel somewhat violated now after reading this for what i paid for my saws I just picked up
:hmm3grin2orange:

Although, of all your scores and loot/ old neat stuff you have shown so far, I like your Avanti the best....

I sold the Avanti and it is now in Australia.

You left the Mac and Homelite behind?:msp_confused:;)

Sure, I had no need for them and no market to dispose of them. Besides, I got these last month.

McCullochTimberbear.jpg

HomeliteXP.jpg

That old Tanaka saw is a pretty good find. Heavy, but from what I seen from the few I have seen were well built saws.

Back