357 or 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yttayl

Reaction score
I know I know.....I've been reading all of the posts, but am still somewhat confused. I am in the market for a new chain saw and based off of what I can read here, I am looking at either a Husky 357 or the Stihl 026. Being somewhat new to this....I feel that I really need an 18" bar, and am curious as to whether the 26 will do ok with that. Also is the weight savings of the 26 enough to make it a better option than the 357?

The local Stihl dealer told me that "you can't get parts for Husky, that's why we don't sell them". Sounds more like poor salesmanship than the truth. There are other dealers that I would buy the Stihl from, but, from what I can tell the 357 and the 26 are about the same price, appr $440 for the 26, and appr $480 for the 357. Both have excellent reputations.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

$440 is WAYYYY too much for an 026. Every dealer in town has $399 price tags hanging on them here. There is wiggle room under that, $380 would be fair.
They are perfect with an 18" .325 full chisel. The 'safety' chain (green master link) stinks. I use 2 of these saws, one with an 18" and one with a 20". Both rip!:D

I couldn't be happier with my 026! 18 inch bar .325 pitch .063 chain (I got it that way used). Plenty of power for most of what I need it for, thenI dust off the 064. You'll like it.

Ok, I'll show how much of a novice I am....

What is a full chisel as opposed to the safety....do you have to buy that special....is there a reason they don't sell them with the saw to begin with???

Also, as long as I'm showing my sparse knowledge, what is the difference between a .325 and a 3/8 inch chain pitch as it pertains to performance??

Thanks again...

Tim

Safety chain has "reduced kickback" tie bars. The tie bars take up space in the cut that could be used to sweep chips out. At a certain power to bar length the perfomance of .325 chain CAN be better than .375 chain. The .325 is taking smaller bites than the .375 but there are more cutters per foot of chian so it's taking more bites . Any saw shop can set you up with non-safety chain.

OK, here's MY opinion (we all know what THAT's worth!):rolleyes:
The safety chain has an anti-kickback feature, basically 'bumpers' that prevent the cutting teeth from getting any bite as the chain travels around the tip. The drawback is that the bumpers take up all the space between cutters and there isn't any room for chips so the saw won't cut as well.
The safety chain and some other chain is shaped like a ? kinda. The chisel chain I use is shaped like a 7. More aggressive and faster cutting. The 026 handles it easily without bogging.
.325 vs. 3/8- .325 is a tad smaller (narrower), and therefore makes a narrower cut. Since it is cutting less wood, it cuts faster than running 3/8. It's a strong saw, but it's still a small saw. The 3/8 is better suited for bigger saws with more torque.
FYI- I used an 026 with a 20" .325 cutting side-by-side with an 046 with a 27" 3/8 chain and was cutting about 80% of his speed on big wood. With HALF the engine size!

Man would I like to get 440.00 for an 026!
Seriously, if you are a novice ,the safety chain is not a bad thing. If it saves you just once, it is worth it. I will send it out with safety chain if I know the operator is not familiar with the saw. I use it . As long as you don't need to bore with it, it works OK. Just keep it sharp.
I know all you seasoned operators think I am crazy for saying this, But we are talking consumers that run a saw one week a year. They don't undersatnd kickback until it is too late.

I think your stihl dealer is blowing smoke about the husky parts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having fun cuz I want to do it

Hi Tim, I`m going to put this gently for you since you are a new poster. Your Stihl dealer is the typical liar that most Stihl dealers around me are. I can go to my favorite local Husky dealer, who also happens to sell Stihl and Jonsered, and can find just about any part except for the most obscure, for any Husky made in the last 10 - 15 years. The local factory rep expects his dealers to be set up this way. If you read into many of the other posts here, you will often see "stock order" pop up. This doesn`t refer only to new saws and trimmers and mowers. Parts inventory is an important component of a stock order. A dealer of any brand has to maintain a good inventory of parts if he is going to run a successful shop.
Now for your original question, which saw? Well if we are going only on price, ie: what is the most saw you can get in this range of these two brands, it`s definitely the 357. If the added weight of nearly two pounds isn`t an issue, and the additional cost isn`t a problem, there ain`t no replacement for displacement. The 357 is a smooth, powerful machine, on par with the legendary 026 in quality. On the other hand, if weight is the issue, the 026 is the way to go when considering these two, but what the 346xp? It costs less than the 026, is smoother, and has more jam, and is just as good in terms of quality. See if anyone will let you demo one. I don`t care what anyone says about the Intellicarb either, it is a very weak attempt to match the air filter cleaning interval of any saw using "air injection" or "turbo" filtering. Russ

tim,
the 026 is 2.97 cubes and the 357 is 3.45 cubes. both saws run very well in there class. the 357 is a more versatile machine. you will be able to do larger work and not lose while limbing or loping. i have both but i run mostly a 372. the smaller saw of choice for my men are the 357's. if i was to choose between the two i would go with the 357. marty

First of all, the 026 can run an 18" bar without any problem.

Secondly you're really comparing apples with oranges. The 357 is heavier and has more power. A better comparison would be a 346XP and Stihl 026.

Lastly, find another dealer. Husky parts are not a problem. (they're actually easier to get than Stihl parts because you aren't limited to the local dealer). Is this dealer quoting you the 026 PRO for $440?? If it's the 026, than that's a bad deal.

Yttayl,

Davefr is right the more correct comparison is the 026 vs. the 346/2149. Personally I would look at the Stihl (I am lookin on Ebay for a project saw) The only problem is that the fixed jets on the 026 I don’t know if the 346/2149 has this same unfortunate feature. Good luck and have fun shoppin, thats the best part.

I use to be a die hard stihl man, Owned nothing but Stihl
Stihl is a good saw with good resale.
But i do beleave their are just as good saw (maybe better) for less $
You need to check out others

Okay, so now I'm leaning towards the 26Pro. Mainly due to the dealers here in town, Kansas City. Seems as though there are only a few Husky dealers, Lowe's mainly....the ones that are listed as Husky that aren't Lowe's, will service Husky's, but don't actually carry them anymore....seems that they can't compete with the inet or Lowe's. There seem to be more capable dealers selling the Stihl line, and capable of supporting after the sale. They all seem pretty pricey though. The 26Pro is $449. Is this a decent price? Doesn't anyone do mail order on the Stihl? I'm not trying to screw a dealer here, but I would think there would be a way to at least bargin with one, and it sure is hard to if everyone in town sells at the same price. Having a mail order price would certainly help in that regard.

Plus quite frankly I learned more here than from any dealer. I should be able to get one here for a better price and pay you guys for the help......and no I won't send everyone $10 for responding....lol.

Thanks,
Tim

yttayl,

The only thing i can tell you is give JW a call or get in touch with this website.

www.madsens1.com

JW I think (dont quote me on this) can sell you a stihl over the phone and i think Madsens can too.

O JW is John Walker if you didnt know sorry.

www.walkerssawshop.com

Otherwise I dont know what to tell you. Good luck

yttayl,

If you must have a 026 and wan't to do a so called "mail order"
I have almost brand new one i will sell you.
I doubt that you will find one that will run a 20" 72lg chain like this one. If you interested e-mail me

The only major differences between the 026 and 026Pro is a compression release and adjustable oiler.
If you need a compression release on a saw this small, you got no business running it.
The non-adjustable oiler on the 026 pumps plenty of oil. No need to adjust it.
The 026 lists for $399, can be had for about $380. The 026Pro lists for $449, my dealer offered me one for $412.
I'd go with an 18" bar. You can cut up to 36" diameter with it, and it will be an all-around more balanced machine with the 18".

Hate to complicate your selection process.

Of the 3 cube, 10 lb saws, here's my picks in order:
weight: Shindaiwa 488, Solo 650,
power: Solo 651, Solo 651 SP, Shindaiwa 488, Stihl 026, Husky 346, Jonsy 2149, 650
Price: 651SP (Bailey's private label), 488, 2149, 346, 651, 026

3.5-4.0 cube:

weight: Husky 357/efco 962C, Stihl 036

Power: Efco, Husky/Stihl

price: 962, 357, 036

I just got a craftsman on ebay for $240, brand new w/ 2 yr warrantee, it is a 651 Pro, the best of the 10-11 lb saws!!!

My suggestion, get anything but an 026, had two ,was not impressed, master control lever is poor, rubber mounts too soft. My 036's are great, but 357 better. Solo 651 pro is in between, and better than each, all things considered. Craftmanship on it looks ok, not quite as nice as the 357,but the price is sure great. They can be found for $400. Dark green metalflake finish is kinda cool though!! after mine gets broken in, she's on her way to the great white north for some Greffardizing. Doubt if anyone else will have a 5-5.5 hp saw that cost $440 total!!!

Back