357 or 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice score, I used a ported 359 for years before I got into the newer saws. Very good saw. Good power once ported and a decent weight with an 18 or 20 bc on it.

that saw looks like it has had more than ten tanks through it to me but for 200 not a bad deal
That’s what I thought! It was laying on the floor bar side down between the lawn mower and snowmobile getting kicked around and covered in dust for the last five years lol! The piston and cylinder look clean from the muffler side though. For 200 I am pretty happy it fired up and ran good after sitting so maybe the carb will be alright.

If you're not sure about your ability to keep it in tune every time you cut with it and the plastic intake clamp hasn't been replaced yet, I'd think about doing it.

I have a 359 bought new in 2003 last year first time its really gave much trouble , maybe the plastic clamp ?
When the clamp goes it leans out because of the extra air. You would notice it screaming before it started melting down if you've ran it that long for sure. More than likely the HDA-199 needs a little refresh.

Is this the kit everyone talks about. I read something about using a Stihl clamp too?

Attachments

• DCF47622-3F07-47FE-BD6D-9502CF4E9700.png
    DCF47622-3F07-47FE-BD6D-9502CF4E9700.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
that saw looks like it has had more than ten tanks through it to me but for 200 not a bad deal
Maybe he meant 10 gas cans? Still, good score! I have a 357XP I scored at a farm auction. Leaking oil badly as it sat. No one wanted to fuss with it. Stole it for $150 and the fix was a $10 updated oil pickup tube. Love that saw.

i bought a 357xp new and was not that impressed after all the research i did on it back then i used it as my climbing saw and liked it just fine but it was lacking. i recently had the muffler modded and it now runs like i expected it to from the beginning. i recently got another one that had a new p/c put on due to the faulty plastic clamp. its on its way to tree monkey for some extra zoom zoom

Back