357xp vs. 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a 24" bar (husqvarna) on my 372xpw. with full tanks it weighs in at 20.5 on my digital scale. My Rancher55 with a 16" bar weighs in at 15.4 with full tanks. the 257 with 20" bar weighs about 17lbs if I remember right.

going from the 32" bar to 24" took 1.5 lbs off and brought the mass closer to the handle.

the difference between the saws in power is really amazing:clap:
Now I just need to open up the muffler and see what happens next.

The price on the saw with three chains is about $125 less than what I paid locally at a saw shop.

Mine is a humpback with the HD filter.

I just put a 24" bar (husqvarna) on my 372xpw. with full tanks it weighs in at 20.5 on my digital scale. My Rancher55 with a 16" bar weighs in at 15.4 with full tanks. the 257 with 20" bar weighs about 17lbs if I remember right.

going from the 32" bar to 24" took 1.5 lbs off and brought the mass closer to the handle.

the difference between the saws in power is really amazing:clap:
Now I just need to open up the muffler and see what happens next.

The price on the saw with three chains is about $125 less than what I paid locally at a saw shop.

Mine is a humpback with the HD filter.

Thanks Shawn that's some really good info. I appreciate that. Looks like the 372 is truely a good deal from these guys. I'm sure I'll look into the muffler mod after I have the saw for a while.

I'm still a bit confused on the difference between a humpback and a non-humpback. I think it was Saw Troll that mentioned that all the 372s were non-humpback?

the local shop orders them with the HD filter and Humpback. Weight wise your talking maybe 2 oz here. I would rather run the heavier duty filter personally than the stock low boy filter.
yes you get some bulk at the back of the saw.
I think it is all personal preference.

Thanks Shawn that's some really good info. I appreciate that. Looks like the 372 is truely a good deal from these guys. I'm sure I'll look into the muffler mod after I have the saw for a while.

I'm still a bit confused on the difference between a humpback and a non-humpback. I think it was Saw Troll that mentioned that all the 372s were non-humpback?

I couldn't pass up the 372 deal from Norwalk but went with the XPW 20" (74.6 cc) instead of the XP for the added cc's. I hope that it wasn't a mistake going with this saw over the 70.7 cc XP :dizzy: Also bought the 353 18" as my 2nd saw for limbing and or firewood cutting. The 353 allowed me to save a few $$'s and still have a decent 2nd saw. Wanted to buy Dolmar but just couldn't find a dealer that stocked the 5100 & 7900 at the same time and wanted to sell chainsaws. The Husky network won me over because of the under marketed Dolmar's in my locale :biggrinbounce2: Saws should be here later this week and I'm :greenchainsaw: ready to cut

i know what the MFGs put in their specs for weight.

They weight practically the same (and the same as the 6401), unless the 372 is a full wrap version, but the 7900 has one of the very best power to weight ratios out there - if not the very best......:blob2:

The 372xp surely isn't "pointless", if you doesn't really need the added power of the 7900.

but actually weigh each on a good scale and the dolmar is about a pound lighter.

Hey guys...I'm so glad to find this thread, because I am considering the same two saws 357 vs. 372.

I'll be clearing a couple acres of medium hard and soft woods, then cutting firewood annually. I probably don't "deserve" a pro-quality saw, but a) I am a Vermonter b) I am a guy c) I don't have a ton of time.

A just sold my 350 so that I can get a bigger saw.

I also had been thinking 357, but found the good 372 price, so grrr am thinking I should go for the power.

So...once those saws arrive, you have to let me know how you feel about the 372. I wouldn't go for the wrap handles, but I'm leaning toward the extra power.

Last edited:
So...once those saws arrive, you have to let me know how you feel about the 372. I wouldn't go for the wrap handles, but I'm leaning toward the extra power.

Impossible to go wrong with the 372xp, if it is about the right size for your needs - it has been a proven winner for quite a long time.

357xp vs 372xp

Hey guys...I'm so glad to find this thread, because I am considering the same two saws 575 vs. 372.

I'll be clearing a couple acres of medium hard and soft woods, then cutting firewood annually. I probably don't "deserve" a pro-quality saw, but a) I am a Vermonter b) I am a guy c) I don't have a ton of time.

A just sold my 350 so that I can get a bigger saw.

I also had been thinking 357, but found the good 372 price, so grrr am thinking I should go for the power.

For cutting firewood like you describe I'd go with a 357xp. Weight is a big factor.
I use both the 357 and 575 when cutting firewood. Most of the time I'll use the 357 for falling and bucking up most of the logs. I use the 575 mostly at the landing for the big stuff. When doing firwood I find that I'll use 3 tanks of gas in the 357 compaired to 1 in the 575.
I like my 575 it's got tons of power and it's smooth to use.
But I still want a 372 and that is going to happen really soon.
The 357 is the best firewood saw going, you won't go wrong buying this saw.

Thanks guys...it seems like the extra HP of the 372 will save time and the saw is only about one pound more than 357.

Its interesting that the 575 was brought up. Less fuel usage sounds great, but the saw is 3 lbs heavier and is getting mixed reviews.

I would buy the 20" for either the 357 or 372.

Last edited:
oops I just noticed my orignal message had an error....

I am looking at 357 vs 372...really not interested in the 575. Too heavy and too many pros don't like it. I'll fix my post

I have home owner needs but wanted to buy 1 saw to do everything, firewood, the odd wind fall, brushing, limbing and some easy felling. I looked at the home owner models but decided to go pro (last saw I will have to buy??) and what sold me on the 357 was the weight. Since I do not use the saw that often I thought a lighter saw would be better for me. The 372 was a much bigger step than $ 50.00 as well so it made sense for me to go with the 357/18" bar, so far, for the little bit of time I have on it, it works great for my needs, I am happy with the purchase.

Kirk

Latest posts

Back