359: fix or get a Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan W

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time lurker / first time poster here. Thanks for all the valuable info on this site!

My Husqvarna 359 (2005 etech) is giving me troubles. It fires right up, runs strong for a bit, dies because it won't idle, then won't start until it cools back down. It has very low hours on it and ran great until a year or so ago.

Does that sound like the Walbro 199 issue? The "good" local shop did a basic carb kit & tuneup and doesn't know what else to do.

I'm very frustrated with it and need a saw that runs reliably. Should I get it fixed or look for another saw?

First it would bog down and couldn't get up to full rpm (or even half). After the compression test / carb kit / spark plug / etc. it starts, idles, and runs great for a couple minutes, then quits when it gets hot. The shop said it might be the coils?

I don't know much about these ... if you guys can help me be confident in a fix, I'd love to send it to a guru to have it fixed and ported at the same time.

What would make it do this only when it's hot? It starts & runs great for the first few minutes.

If I can't find someone in SLC, who's the guy to send the saw to and how much should I expect to pay? Most 359 threads I've seen mention Tree Monkey but I don't see anything from him here lately.

Check you impulse line and gas line. The two come together and are held in place with a clip. The two lines rub against eachother and eventually get thin and will collapse or pull air into the crank case.

Nobody has mentioned the plastic intake boot clamp. Replace the plastic clamp with a metal one if it hasn't been updated to prevent (or stop) an air leak.
Agreed. Those plastic intake manifold boot clamps are notorius for failing during any attempt to rebuild the top end. These were an engineering disaster designed to either make dealers rich or fill up landfills.

Latest posts

Back