361 fast idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sand sock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i got out and cut a little honey locust today, i noticed the chain was still revolving and not wanting to settle down. i am hoping it is just needing the LA adjusted. but is therre any chance that the rubber boot from teh engine to the carborator is leaking letting it fast idle? i put the chain brake on and let it idle and later released it. it seamed to stop. maybe i am being over protective of her.

First cheap and easy check if it is idling normal would be to take the drum off and clean drum and shoes. Clean the bearing and lube it. Put it all back together and see if chain stops. All that saw dust and crap under the drum could be causing drag that spins the chain at idle.

Start with that.

thank you. i will recheck it today. when i get to the shop. i just greased the needles , but didnt scrape the drum last time.

I would clean the clutch drum with some break cleaner and probably change the clutch springs after adjusting the idle screw !!!

I got down in the springs and blew it all out. Regreased the needles , i think it's a tad fast at idle still. I did just remix the gas, maybe it had a bit higher octane in the hose? I need to try it in some other 2 stroke and see if it sounds faster.

i have had this saw since 2008. its never moved before, why would the needle start moving now? is their a chance that rubber diaphram is going out? i never heard of one going out till i came here, no w i'm spooked

@sand sock You can adjust the carb LA screw to specifications, I have attached the info as JPEGS.

But if you have not done any service to the saw it might be time to have a look at all the rubber and update as you might have a area that is starting to leak causing the idle to increase. A vacuum and pressure test is really going to help locate a leak if you have one. A carb overhaul may not be a bad idea.

Check cylinder head bolts for looseness.

trouble shooting.JPG
carbuser361.JPGbasiccarb361.JPG
basiccarb361-2.JPG

Back