361 flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK Rich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well then, today I got given a couple of saws. An MS361 which is all but running, an MS660 which will probably run with a new piston and an MS460 that probably wont...

Still, not bad for free!

My questions are really; the flywheel on the 361. When I went to pull the saw over, the pull cord didn't seem to engage with anything. I took the cover off to find that the flywheel was loose. After undoing the nut and taking the flywheel off, I noticed the woodruff key was broken/missing.

Is the woodruff key on 361 cast into the flywheel or is it separate?

If cast, then the flywheel is twatted. Is there a 'wheel off another saw that'll fit (lighter the better)? I have an old 260 parts saw and the flywheel looks similar, but before I tear it apart and try to fit it, will it work?

Thanks!

Not real familiar with that model, but it looks like the key is cast in the flywheel.

No sense in trying to make other flywheels work, especially lighter ones, the weight is essential for the correct running of the engine.

Just line the old flywheel up in the correct position and zap the flywheel tight with an impact wrench.

Just line the old flywheel up in the correct position and zap the flywheel tight with an impact wrench.

This is something I was thinking about going for. Will this work ok? I didn't want it to spin...

Now I just need to work out weather to keep this, or a couple of 260s??

Last edited:
Past threads in AS suggest that the shear key's purpose is to align the flywheel to the crank for correct timing. As an alternate to finding another flywheel, degrease the tapered mounting surfaces, fit the flywheel on the crank, and carefully align slot/key, seat flywheel on crank with wooden block and mallet, and torque to 28 Nm or 20.7 ft-lbs. Used flywheels show up online in the States for $40. (I was in the market recently) Good luck.

Last edited:
Yes, the taper interference and nut torque lock the flywheel in place, as long as it is aligned correctly, you will be fine.

Sweet. Cheers guys. Looks like I did get a fully working saw for free then.

I suck.

Latest posts

Back