361 vibrating noise when cutting???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmc2003

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
just got a new to me 361 and i have a question. when you bury the bar and stick the dog in it makes a vibrating or rattling sound if you apply any pressure at all. i'm wondering if its just the av absorbing the chain vibration. as the rakers have been filed a bit. i can't really feel anything it is very smooth compared to the 460, which wasn't bad really. anybody had similar experience?

it can't be internal, as the noise is not really fast paced. its gotta be chain related.

its the same bar and chain that was on my 46. never noticed anything with it) but i could feel roughness with that saw. with this one its super smooth but i can hear it rather than feel it. maybe the rakers are just a little low.

I've heard it too on several different saws.
It doesn't seem to be brand specific and I think it may have something to do with chatter in the rim sprocket.
Seems to only do it when the saws are pulling hard.

Mike

Hmmm. I've been cutting quite a bit the last few days, mostly using my MS361, and come to think of it I can remember noticing a bit of rattling coming from the chain. It didn't seem remarkable, though, and I didn't attribute it to the 361. It may not be similar to what you're talking about. Unless your sprocket is worn or you have a messed up AV mount I don't see how it could be anything to do with the powerhead. Chain could be dull, bar groove could be worn, tip sprocket could be worn, rakers could be wrong height, chain tension could be too loose. So long as the saw is running well and it's making chips and not dust I wouldn't worry about it.

Jack

Are the dawgs loose?

Or some handlebar screws loose?

Muffler Screws?

Don't know........ I have cut a lot with the 361 and I'm not getting what you are explaining.

Sam

just put my first solid tank through non stop on the 361. man this is a great saw. handles nice. i took the drum and sprocket off and i'm pretty sure it is the sprocket washer. all my bars and new and not worn any hardly. i swapped to a different bar and chain and the noise is still there, but slightly different. my 460 pulled the same chains great. but with less power, the 361 is a little grabby. so i think it makes the washer rattle.

Are the dawgs loose?

Or some handlebar screws loose?

Muffler Screws?

Don't know........ I have cut a lot with the 361 and I'm not getting what you are explaining.

Sam

Same here. I also was thinking it may be a chain issue. I tend to set my chains a slight bit tighter than other people to avoid issues such as chip build up, steretching and jumping chains....

I have noticed this on the MS361. Sounds like a hollow vibration sound. I never had any problems from this. I didnt know what to think when I first heard it. Sounds sort of like the cylinder cover vibrating.

Last edited:
Well, then quit cutting through nails!!! LoL, J/K

That washer makes a ting ting ting noise, dominant at idle. I doubt it's causing the vibrations your talking about.

Are you cutting in hard dry wood? that'll do it...

there is definately a chatter when the bar is buried and cutting a decent size log. I'll try to isolate where it is coming from next time I use it. that was doing that from new also.

If your rakers have been over filed then this can cause some pretty horrible vibration and noise in the saw - just caused by the chain trying to bite in far too deep and bouncing out of the cut.

If the chain has been badly sharpened - try a new loop.

Spud

I just had this issue with my 361 with the 20" ES bar buried and dogged in oak. Turned out that the replaceable nose of the bar was just a little bit loose. I re-clinched the three rivets to tighten up the nose and the noise is gone.

I put a fair amount of fuel through my well used 361's on this lot since I broke a mount on my 2171
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both saws have lots of hours but I do not get the vibrations your talking about .
One thing that I do get is noise (rattly noise is my best description) from the new oregon clutch drum and sprocket that I have installed on one of them but since it hasn't affected production I consider it a non issue.

:cheers:

I had a noise similar to this today when I dogged into some big ash I was bucking up with my new to me makita 6401. It has me concerned because my saw was rented out 30 times before I bought it so I thought I had a bad bearing. It sounds like an angry vibrating growl only when I'm putting a lot of pressure against the dogs, so its relieving to hear it might be normal.

Back