361 vs 362 FS in my area. help me pick

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothernewb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wife and I hope to be buying a new lot to build on soon. Hoping to find something in the 5 acre range with some trees. Will be needing a saw for clearing it and something that'll last me awhile after for the inevitable work that comes with owning a rural property. After talking with a coupe friends. They keep telling me to go with stihl, and get the "pro" line ones. I found these 2 saws local on Craigslist.

Given the price is identical. to my (vastly)untrained eye the 362 has had the bar replaced (from lots of use?) and the 361 looks to be less used? Need some info to think about when I go look at them.

https://fargo.craigslist.org/grd/d/stihl-ms362-chainsaw/6686364245.html

https://fargo.craigslist.org/grd/d/stihl-ms361-chainsaw/6675045158.html

I like my oe ms362.:numberone: I’d rather have it than an mtronic one.

Smooth, smooth saw.

I would probably want to see them both to decide.

Those both look like very nice saws.

I have both as well as an 036Pro. Each has its own traits. I had Terry Landrum work on my 361 and it hands down out preforms the other two. Only complaint is it is really loud. I read several posts that say the 361 really needs a muffler mod to run well. I didn't run mine stock long enough to say. However, it is lighter than the 362. So if it were me all else being equal I would go 361.

Ron

I have a 362 and a friend of mine has a 361. It took a muff mod to make the mine a good as his. The 361 is also a tick smoother. I would go for the 361 and negotiate hard.

Stihl saws go for stupidly high prices, yet they sell. Would I pay $550 for a 361? no, but that doesn't mean a 361 isn't worth $550 Those saws look to be in great shape, if they check out, and you really want the saw I'd say try and work out a deal. It's unlikely to find many 361's in that good of shape.

Hard question to answer as local markets vary. Areas that have infrequent storms (hurricanes, etc.) are good sources to pickup barely used older saws at low prices. Came across two 361s on opposite coasts of Florida this summer. Both like new, case, owners manual and original bar and chain. One was $350 and one was $400 IIRC. Around here where folks cut firewood, clean ones are hard to find and would command $100 more ($450 to $500).

Ron

If you have a little time, you can find a 362 or 361 here from one of the members, usually really clean even some have the performance upgrades already done. Check out the chainsaws for sale forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back