361 w/broken upper anti-vibe mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbuehning

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After a long day of quartering last Sunday, I was in the garage doing my normal PM - sharpening the chains and cleaning the saw up. I figured I'd take the top cover off and check the cylinder bolts, etc; after all, this is a new saw. When I pulled the cover I noticed that the upper anti vibe mount had snapped right at the mounting bolt. It mounts to the right rear corner of the cylinder (see pictures). I'm sure that this should be covered under warranty, I just hope the dealer has the part in stock or my cutting plans for this weekend are shot.

I guess this would also explain why the saw wasn't cutting straight, it seemed to be pulling to the right.

Has anyone seen this mount break before, or was I asking too much of the saw. I was quartering 18" long 30-40" oak with a 24" bar with RSL on it.

Any thoughts.

Last edited:
That is unusual.. never had that mount broken (yet)... even when many of the 361's at the local mill yards have been dropped, run over, plain old trashed etc..

I doubt your dealer will have in stock. We sure don't, but I'd pull one off a new saw if you were my customer.

This should make Manual's day - a Stihl with a broken spring mount :laugh: but the spring didn't break...

Last edited:
Come on Gary, you've never had stuff that wasn't assembled the right way or had screws loosen up - or just wanted to see how something was put together. It may be a German saw and I may be German also, BUT I'm definitely anal-retentive.:ices_rofl:

Come on Gary, you've never had stuff that wasn't assembled the right way or had screws loosen up - or just wanted to see how something was put together. It may be a German saw and I may be German also, BUT I'm definitely anal-retentive.:ices_rofl:

Okay... I'll give you that much... HAHAHA!:)

I have never checked the head bolts on a new saw. Or a new dirt bike, or a new truck, or car.... etc., etc.

Just thought it was a little.... different.:ices_rofl:

Gary

Weird breakage, curious what is the setting for that bolt? Looks like one that should NOT be tightened down. Wonder if the user overtightened it during his post use checkup.

Nope, when I pulled the cover (for the 1st time) it was there. After I get it fixed, I'll look at it closer. I want the dealer to see it as it is. It looks like was machined from a casting,maybe it had a flaw.

Last edited:

It says to in the user manual, but, Gary would have to read.:laugh: ..

That is unusual.. never had that mount broken (yet)... even when many of the 361's at the local mill yards have been dropped, run over, plain old trashed etc..

I doubt your dealer will have in stock. We sure don't, but I'd pull one off a new saw if you were my customer.

This should make Manual's day - a Stihl with a broken spring mount :laugh: but the spring didn't break...

I don't think a Stihl spring can break with that cable running through it.
But I do believe that the springs stretch or wear out. and do need replaced.
interesting how it broke at the mount.
Did you by chance get the saw jammed and pulled hard to get it free

..... I figured I'd take the top cover off and check the cylinder bolts, etc; after all, this is a new saw. ...

Got me stumped on that one... why are you checkin' the cylinder bolts again?

Gary

They should be checked, at least after run-in of the saw.
Stihl says so, for the 361 and larger saws......;)

Yeah but!!!!

He'll come up with some way to slam em!!!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :hmm3grin2orange: cr _ p I stand corrected he's being civil!!!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited:
I don't think a Stihl spring can break with that cable running through it.
But I do believe that the springs stretch or wear out. and do need replaced.
interesting how it broke at the mount.
Did you by chance get the saw jammed and pulled hard to get it free

The casting on the end is broken.

Quality control issue, where does Stihl have those parts made ?
Hard to count Human error in Quality control

Good Ending

Stopped at the dealer on the way home from the real job, he had already ordered the replacement part but it won't be here B-4 the weekend. The casting looked like it had a small inclusion and wasn't seated square-probably broke the first time I leaned on it.
Anyways, he took the showroom saw down and took the part out of that one, total time - 5-10-minutes plus the assorted BSing with him.

Everything is good, completely different saw with the mount attached. If I hadn't pulled the shroud to PM, I probably wouldn't have found this until real damage had been done. My dealer did the right thing and didn't blink an eye.:cheers:

When I worked at the dealer I had one saw one broken one. It was the 2nd day the customer had the saw. New one and all was well.

Latest posts

Back