362 shootout: Husky vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Both are strato saws. Both are pretty much modern designs copied from Redmax. Both have spring-type anti-vibe. The Husky got little love from the community, the Stihl is getting lots. I have only run the Husky so far. All I have right now is numbers, but here we go:

Husqvarna 362xp:

Cylinder displacement: 62.4 cc/3.81 cu.inch
Power: 4.6 hp/3.4 kW
Weight (powerhead only): 13.0 lbs/6.0 kg
Fuel tank volume: 25.92 oz/0.77l
Oil tank volume: 13.44 oz/0.40l
Recommended bar length: 13-24"/33-60 cm

Stihl MS362:

Cylinder displacement: 59.0 cc/3.6 cu. inch
Power: 4.6 hp/3.4 kW
Weight (powerhead only): 13.0 lbs/5.9 kg
Fuel tank volume: 20.3 oz/0.6 l
Oil Tank Volume: 11.0 oz/0.325l
Recommended bar length: 16"-25"/40-63 cm

From these numbers, it looks like Stihl has a slight edge on power vs. displacement, where Husky has the edge on down-time due to replenishing fluids. All info from the interwebs.

Aren't numbers fun?

Husky 362?

Hold on there hatter!!!

I been looking around and musta missed sumthin.

WHO'S gotta Husqvarna 362xp Strato saw?

The numbers look good and all, but where is it, what's it look like, and where can a guy get his mitts on one?

Thanks!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I had a 362xp a while back- my dad claims it's his now.

Maybe the 362 should have caught on more than it did, but I think people figured the 372xp was same weight and size with a lot more grunt. I had a 372xp too, and that was my way of thinking.

interesting spec similarities!

The Husky 362 is a traditional two-stroke built on the 365/371/372 chassis. It's a heavy pig for the power it makes. I built a Big Bore saw once for a guy using his 362 chassis, worked good.

LOL!!!!!

Here I was thinkin' Husqvarna snuck one in under the wire on me, and I went to pounding the net looking for the new 362xp Strato.

Sure enough there's the discontinued model all over the place, but no strato, so I am thinking ya got a demo in your paws somehow... LOL!!!!

It's still funny how the new Stihl MS362 compares and has the Stihlheads all bowing at the shrine, but the old 362xp is a dog....well it WAS.

Husky really HAS it's work cut out it seems.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

262xp vs. MS362. Now that would be a shoot out.

My guess would be a close tie cuz I havn't run a MS362 yet.
But that would still be a win for a 20 yr old model. LOL!!

Husky needs to get off thier keester.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For what it's worth the one good Stihl dealer I found around here said he's a proto type dealer for stihl and has had the MS362 in his shop for 2 years and his take was that it's not ready for the market yet. Take it for what you will, I'm just passing on the info.

Didn't Andyshine already do that at the GTG?

I must have been eating ribs at the time.
When I was eating the ribs you could of had a hot girl in a bikini juggling 3 338xp's while singing Free ride and I wouldn't of even notice.

362XP - A Nice Saw

I picked up a a 362XP a while back on the local craigslist. It was listed as a "Cylinder", but was really the entire PH. When I went to look at it, I found that it had never been used; it was completely new. It also used the same bar as my 372. Picked it up cheap, added a 20" bar and some 372 Wrap dogs, and off I went. What a nice saw. In bucking 15" ish wood, I don't feel a big difference between the 362XP and 372. Got a pic of the 362XP before it got dirty...have to dig it out.

With the older style low air filter, and half wrap bar, it feels pretty handy. It is bigger than my MS361, but the 362XP feels noticeably stronger. I haven't run the MS362 yet, but played with one at Madsens a few weeks ago. I think I'll stick with the 362XP. Weight wise they feel the same.

Off topic a bit - Madsens also had an MS362 with a full wrap handle and 28" bar on the shelf. Even up here in the PNW, that seems a bit much to me!

Off topic a bit - Madsens also had an MS362 with a full wrap handle and 28" bar on the shelf. Even up here in the PNW, that seems a bit much to me!

If it's not too much for a 361, why would it be too much for a 362? I used this setup as my fireline saw this year:

DSCF0014.jpg

Next year I think I'll be totin' a Dolmar "8400" with a 28" bar.

For what it's worth the one good Stihl dealer I found around here said he's a proto type dealer for stihl and has had the MS362 in his shop for 2 years and his take was that it's not ready for the market yet. Take it for what you will, I'm just passing on the info.

LMAO... that guy is feeding you a big line of BS...

Gary

If it's not too much for a 361, why would it be too much for a 362? I used this setup as my fireline saw this year:

Different strokes....I had a 25" on my 361 for a bit, but feel that it is much happier with a 20". For me, the 372 and 440 are perfect for the 28". Btw, at Madsens a 28" 372XPW was only $20 more than the 28" MS362 Wrap. No brainer choice for me....got another XPW before they are gone!

FWIW,
I have a Husky 362xp special. Dang good saw. I also have 2 372xp's.
They aren't strato's. Some say they are heavy, but I really don't see alot of difference in the 362xp special and the 372xp performance wise. I know, I know, I'm a heretic and will burn in the fires of hell for saying that anything else even comes close to the 372xp.:jawdrop: Just saying the 362xp special is a really good saw, better than it gets credit for being. Ok, now I'll go to my room and pray for forgiveness.

Scott

I guess also I would say the appropriate comparison would be the last of the Husky 362xp special's with the large bar mount and the Stihl 361. Especially since they are now both lost to the brave new world of strato saws.

Scott

Latest posts

Back