Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Any idea why a Stihl 362 wont start back up?

I was cutting and heard it bogging down as it was about out of gas. Shut it down, refueled and it will not fire up...

I know it usually takes a few extra pulls after it runs out.

The only way I can get it to fire is to choke it. It will fire right up, then I kick it up to half choke, runs great for about 5-10 seconds and then dies.... It will not runon regular open choke.. Just sputters a few times and dies. Never had this kind of trouble.

Chain is tensioned fine, obviously have spark, correct fuel mix... It just flat out won't run....

It's been running great all day long now, and for it to just all of the sudden die has me baffled

Thanks in advance for any help.

Think all the saw dust that got around this awesome filtration system would have any affect?

Similar experience

I have an old husky 242xpg that took a lot of pulls to prime (say 10plus) then would run great until out of gas. Every time after refuelling it was hard to start and kept stalling.

I traced it to a tight bend in the fuel line causing it to flatten. Not sure exactly why but guess it was fuel starvation. Maybe the hose was closing under vacuum after running dry, or air-locking somehow.

Anyway - sounds like similar symptoms to you so I'd check fuel line for splits, tight bends, perish/soft.

I'm not familiar with the 362 - it looks like the dust has got past the air filter - doesn't look good but not sure it's related to the hard starting. Maybe do a compression test to check it hasn't damaged the cyl/piston.

Stihl claims the dust won't hurt the engine, but when I pulled the plug there were some light "smudges" id call it, on the cylinder walls in two places.

I did finally get the thing to fire up... I checked the gap on the plug, it was almost .05, so I set it back to .02 per the manual.

I'm just baffled as to what happened, this is practically a brand new saw, maybe 30 tanks of fuel now...

Usually if it runs out its 2-3 pulls to get it re primed and it's back to cutting...

I bet I pulled it 150 times... And immedietly after refueling it wouldn't even fire unless I choked it, and even then it would just sputter and act funny.

I'm going to take it into the dealer, I can't imagine i should be seeing anything on the cylinder walls.

Anyone have any input?

I'm running the Stihl ultra synthetic in it as recommended and to keep the two year warranty.

Overall I love the saw, but highly disappointed to see marking on the cylinder and the sub par air filtration system.

I brought my 362 into the shop with the same problem and I bought another one that day since it would be a couple weeks to get the first back. Guess what, they both still have the same issue. I've been a loyal Stihl buyer for years but I'm really pissed at whatever theyve done with the new 362. What a piece of crap!

We need to put it on full choke a yank on the cord to get it going and it still sputters out after a few seconds, the only way to keep it going is to keep the trigger pinned. My first saw was a 361 and it's still going with probably 4-5,000 hrs on it.

I brought my 362 into the shop with the same problem and I bought another one that day since it would be a couple weeks to get the first back. Guess what, they both still have the same issue. I've been a loyal Stihl buyer for years but I'm really pissed at whatever they've done with the new 362. What a piece of crap!

We need to put it on full choke a yank on the cord to get it going and it still sputters out after a few seconds, the only way to keep it going is to keep the trigger pinned. My first saw was a 361 and it's still going with probably 4-5,000 hrs on it.
After reading this post, I went out to the garage and started my MS361 after she rested for six months. After three pulls on choke she popped and then two pulls on fast idle and she was ready to cut wood. I love this saw that I bought in early 2008:
Stihl MS361 Chainsaw.JPG
The bar has less paint on it after running no less than 500 hours, but the engine could care less. She's a keeper.

After reading this post, I went out to the garage and started my MS361 after she rested for six months. After three pulls on choke she popped and then two pulls on fast idle and she was ready to cut wood. I love this saw that I bought in early 2008:
View attachment 641562
The bar has less paint on it after running no less than 500 hours, but the engine could care less. She's a keeper.
That makes a nice-looking table centerpiece!

That makes a nice-looking table centerpiece!
But, I don't own any centerpieces that set me back $700 like this one did. It's the last new Stihl saw that I ever bought from a dealer. I recall taking it to a GTG that summer and the only guy with a saw of similar size that beat it was running a new MS440. After seeing mine perform, one fella went out the next week and bought one. He still has his also.

I have a 362 that I recently bought. I haven't done much cutting with mine yet, but did test it out. I need to get a couple of small parts for mine before I'm comfortable with it. Need a new plastic piece that goes over the chain oil port, which was damaged when a chain de-railed. It cut a slot for trash to get into the chain brake area. Also need a cover lock screw. Not expensive, though.

Back