365-372 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Well, you guys getting tired of my build threads yet? LOL

Well too bad, here is another. Got this on the weekend along with other saws. Its a 365 special. But will be put back together as a 372. It needs some parts, so on the hunt I am.

Don't know what happened to this saw, looks like it was just robbed for parts, then set out to rot. Its actually in good shape, the top end looks really good on it.

This is how I got it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Started taking it apart.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good choice for a project. 365's are great saw's as is. Have fun and good call canning the Zama carb and going with the Walbro!

Finally getting back to this saw. Got a BB kit today for it from MCW on here. Got some pics and some numbers for you guys. The kit looks real nice, ports are nice. Only thing I noticed is that the honing is a little lacking at the very top of the bore, which is not unusual and doesn't seem to be a problem.

Now the numbers.

Squish with gasket is at a large .044

EX duration 155dur

Int duration 140dur

Trans duration 119dur

some pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the report on the mystery BB kit. If it lets me, I'll rep you.

The ports and the timing numbers look fine.

I don't like the looks of that dark ring at the top of the bore. My suspicion is that plating is missing in that area.

Hard to tell for sure without a borescope, but I've sliced several jugs open on a bandsaw, and the dark ring always turned out to be missing plating and/or a gouge.
attachment.php

Thanks for the report on the mystery BB kit. If it lets me, I'll rep you.

The port and timing numbers look fine.

I don't like the looks of that dark ring at the top of the bore. My suspicion is that plating is missing in that area.

Hard to tell for sure without a borescope, but I've sliced several jugs open on a bandsaw, and the dark ring always turned out to be missing plating and/or a gouge.

Hey, its not missing plating, it's lack of honeing. I shined a good light in there and looked through the ex port, looks like the plating goes to the top.

Here's what I am looking at.

The dark ring varies in height. In one spot, the shiny plating goes almost to the top of the bore.
attachment.php

In another spot, the dark ring extends down what appears to be 1/4".
attachment.php

The height variation of the dark ring cannot be explained by honing. If the hone stopped short of the top, then the affected area would be a consistent height.

An inspection mirror helps, but it's still not the same as looking at the area directly. That requires either a borescope, or sawing the jug in half.

The dark ring appears to extend down far enough to be swept by the rings. If the dark ring is indeed unplated, then it'll still run, but there will be questions about ring sealing and longevity.

Here's one of the jugs that I sawed in half. Before sawing, I could only see a mysterious dark ring near the top of the bore, and I could see that the ring varied in height, similar to your mysterious dark ring. After sawing, it was clear that the ring was partly due to a huge gouge. The variation in height was due to missing plating, not missing honing. My guess is that this area is "sunken" due to a casting defect.
defect3.jpg

The grey stuff is bare aluminum. There are no honing marks, because there is no plating. In any event, this is not conducive to sealing the rings.
attachment.php

I am not familiar with the plating process, but apparently any spot that is greater than bore diameter does not receive plating. For example, if there is a gouge, the gouge does not get plated. If the casting has "sunken" and pulled away from the bore, the "sunken" spots don't get plated. The area around the decomp hole often seems to be missing plating, perhaps because that spot is a little "sunken."

I'd love to hear someone who knows more about the plating of chainsaw jugs -- hint, hint, Timberwolf, if you are reading this :D -- explain what kind of things go wrong that cause the plating to be screwed up at the top of a jug.

Last edited:
I'm almost 100% certain there is no missing plating, there is no exposed bare aluminum at the top of the bore, like the one in the pic you posted.

What I've noticed is when you port these aftermarket cyl's for instance, the process has traveled into the port and is more difficult to penetrate than bare aluminum. It is obvious to the naked eye that the process has gone beyond the cyl surface itself.

Back