366 gas engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would Napa be cheap?

All the retail parts stores buy their reman engines from the same place, it's name is "Recon" they do trannys as well as engines, pretty much junk.

Yes a 366 is a big block! Your 383 small block is a 350 small block most likley with a 400 small block crank. The stroked 350 (383) is pretty comon in the hot rod world. The cubic inch of a motor does not have any thing to do with big block or small block though, there are alot of 400 plus cubic inch small blocks, As far as small blocks and big blocks go there is no cubic inch cut off where it changes to a big block. The big block is just as it sounds a totally diff block, heads, etc. Chevy also had a stock 400 small block. The smallest of the big blocks was the 348 in about 1958 or 59 later followed by the 409bb.
+1 man, sounds like you know your stuff. ill bet you could tell that i have no clue about the 366. all i here are complaints about the 366/truck combo. i have never owned one but i have driven a few, just from what i observe from a drivers point of view is they are loud, chattery, and awfully slow. in this day and age if your still running around in yer o'l 366 she has been rebuilt or well taken care of. the 366 may be a good engine but i still wouldn't trade my d466t for it, i don't know jack crap about this kinda work so take my words as just another mans opinion:)

The 366 is considered by many to be one of the best gas truck engines ever.
It is rebuildable.
It is a big block.

+1 man, sounds like you know your stuff. ill bet you could tell that i have no clue about the 366. all i here are complaints about the 366/truck combo. i have never owned one but i have driven a few, just from what i observe from a drivers point of view is they are loud, chattery, and awfully slow. in this day and age if your still running around in yer o'l 366 she has been rebuilt or well taken care of. the 366 may be a good engine but i still wouldn't trade my d466t for it, i don't know jack crap about this kinda work so take my words as just another mans opinion:)

I know a little not a pro by any means, I just grew up with a dad and uncles that were old hot rodders and shade tree mechanics. And like alot of us I loved engines, chainsaws anything that was loud. When your around that kind of talk all you life you pick up on it. You are right that they were not a hotrod, they are a slow revving low rpm motor. At the time though the mid sized diesels were not very common and the 366s were the best for pulling a load. Alot of the old trucks like this just had the ole sb 350 in them it done the job but you had to really wind it up to pull the load and it was very slow, thus the ole 366 with its more grunt ,low rpm torque was quite an improvement over the 350 sb, in fact the 383 stroker someone mentioned would out pull the 350s pretty good! Not just because of the extra 33 ci
but because that longer stroke makes more torque!

I'd stay away from the "recon" engines. We bought a couple from our napa store and had nothing but problem with them. I don't think they even sell them anymore. Marshall engines are pretty decent. I could be wrong but i think the 366 had wet liners in them (like modern diesels) but that could be the diesel version of the 366 i'm thinking of. Good engine though. I just but one that was kind of blown up in a school bus to put in my '84 dump.

Just one last thought i did not mention, one of the best things about the 366 was it didnt use as much fuel as some of it replacements. The 350s had to run so hard to pull a load they drank the gas, a truck 454 would give you more power but use more fuel, for what you need the 366 was great ,enough power and decent mileage for a big truck which isnt very good but your driving a big truck what can you expect right!

One other thing to check out, dont know if you can get one but the GM goodwrench motors are exc motors. I know they still make the 350 sb not sure about the bb motors. I do know a new 350 from gm has 100000 m warranty, my brother just put one in his pickup I wanna say around 15-18 hundred not for sure on that.

A 366 is a big block not a small block. You can overhaul one if it just using oil etc no big deal you wont have to bore it out or any of that. The 366 is a truck engine built for low rpm pulling power and is an excellent engine. There is a zillion running around here and any where else there is alot of farm trucks, grain trucks. They are no junker we haul 500 bushel of corn to town a thousand trips a yr with these motors. As for the 427/454 there is a truck motor and a hp car motor you dont want the car motor in a heavy truck! I would keep looking you can find a 366 look in ne,ks,mo,IA where they use them all the time.

They did make 427 and 454 truck motors. In fact, a 427 with a 4 bolt main is a very tough motor, used in many firetrucks in the 70's. Napa here sells gopher rebuilt engines. They are junk, bought one had nothing but problems, and their warrenty paid for a enw motor to be installed, but only paid book time and 35 bucks per hour, find a shop willing to work for that.

Last edited:
They did make 427 and 454 truck motors. In fact, a 427 with a 4 bolt main is a very tough motor, used in many firetrucks in the 70's.

I agree, I stated you dont want a 427/454 car motor in a truck, you want the truck motor. I also agree with you the ole 427 was a :censored:eek:f a motor. They were used in some of the old tractor trailer rigs even, I used to truck with an old guy who used to haul cattle from scott city ks to emporia to the packing house, he always talked about putting on 45000 pds of fat cattle and heading to emporia with his ole 427. He knew what he was talking about trucked all his life and he loved that ole 427!

those 366's are great motors. i rebuilt a 65' chevy and had one with a 3spd rear and it ran like a champ.

have you tried vanderhag's in des moines? Also Doug's 4 wheeler's in pella i think still has some from school buses'.
I have a block, but the pistons are stuck in the cylinders.

Whatever you do,dont listen to the advice of the ones here that tell you a 366 is junk.They clearly have no experience with GM tall deck truck big blocks.It is the best MD gas engine of all time. My fathers ran 330+K miles in a C60 that ran 31000+ lbs every day of the week for 12 yrs.The truck ran wide open a good portion of the time.The 366 is designed to be run full load wide open continously. Run a typical 454 or 383 the same way,and it will last hours,maybe weeks if your lucky,a 366 will last a couple hundred thousand miles while being run hard. It has sodium filled valves,special hi temp valve seats,and many other things not found in light duty engines.I would replace the 366 with another used one or a quaility rebuild. Dont be afraid to check prices on a goodwrench crate engine,it may be priced competitively with the remans,and its all new.You can use a 427 tall deck as well,but like you said youd need to flash the PCM or get a new computer.The 427 really isnt an advantage over the 366,unless you found one for next to nothing,Id stick with the 366.

I can help with this - been there done the research. Yes both big block tall deck motors. The link above is a ripoff. i priced a 366 from jasper for like 1600 and change (long block), the 427 is like 3600 and change. Same intake and TBI. Computer is an easy ten miniute swap.

My bucket has the 366 cuz SM are a bunch of cheap :censored:. My truck wouldnt run for sh!t and would stall out cuz the 427 comp would choke it out so bad - at least SM gave me a 366 comp wich pretty much fixed it. My truck is 31000 GVW so it should have had the 427, I think this was sort of like the CDL motor. I never could find out the hp and torque #'s though, Jasper didnt have them and I couldnt find them anywhere...anyone got any ideas?? The 427 comp is sitting in my office waiting to go back in someday.

366 a good motor.....compared to what? they`re reliable when new other than that:

*they are gas pigs
*backfire when pulling loads/downshifting
*noisy & slow
*if this is an old asplundh rig then 2 strikes, 366 driving an undergeared main which when underload wont get out of its own way!

yep, other than that the 366 is an incredible motor, really its not the wosrt but its no where near the best!!

personally if you`re running a bucket truck without a diesel motor then your doing yourself a diservice!! JMHO.

LXT..................

Man you are just full of info aren't you.

Back