366 gas engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zsteinmetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any ideas on where a guy could find a 366 gas engine for a 99 gmc 7500 asplundh bucket truck. Been callin around and cant find many. Some say they are rebuildable some say they arent. Anyone had any expieriences with these?

Any ideas on where a guy could find a 366 gas engine for a 99 gmc 7500 asplundh bucket truck. Been callin around and cant find many. Some say they are rebuildable some say they arent. Anyone had any expieriences with these?

Man thats almost old skool. If I remember right its a big block chevy. I knew a guy that had one in a dumptruck. Blew it and bought a 427. I would think they are getting hard to find in good running condition. The 366 is rebuldable. You would have to have bored aout and get oversize pistons. Good luck:cheers:

go with a jasper purpose built engine and you can bet your butt its going to be a better replacement then that 366ci gasser. IMO the 366 is a **** engine with lots of cylinder problems. another hint; If its hard to find its Polly junk:) on your new engine be sure to keep the radiator clean, many tree trucks blow the engine cause the rad gets clogged. it may not over heat but it runs hotter than it should. i dont know why your engine poped but keep that in mind for the next motor:)

I did find a 427 but I would have to swap the computer also. Not sure how hard that would be

I did find a 427 but I would have to swap the computer also. Not sure how hard that would be
stay with a small block, the big blocks are very easy to pop and cost way too much money

The 427 and the 366 used in your truck are both big blocks . The 427 would be a pretty good replacement. But will use more fuel. Both were fairly dependable. Also call your gm dealer for a gm remanufactured engine they are usually pretty competitive.Also come with a warranty.Als o like what was said earlier make sure your radiator is clean inside and out.

A 366 is a big block not a small block. You can overhaul one if it just using oil etc no big deal you wont have to bore it out or any of that. The 366 is a truck engine built for low rpm pulling power and is an excellent engine. There is a zillion running around here and any where else there is alot of farm trucks, grain trucks. They are no junker we haul 500 bushel of corn to town a thousand trips a yr with these motors. As for the 427/454 there is a truck motor and a hp car motor you dont want the car motor in a heavy truck! I would keep looking you can find a 366 look in ne,ks,mo,IA where they use them all the time.

366 a big block? how many liters is it? i have a 383 in my iroc-z it is a small block

Last edited:
The 366 is the smallest of the 366/396/427 family, it was made in diesel, gas and propane versions, it has been a very durable industrial engine for many years in two ton trucks for chevy, their are thousands still running the road today, many have a high nickel content block, they are easily rebuildable, many have had a life span of several hundred thousand miles, I would take it over a 427 in a truck any day, we have had them in farm trucks and have had great luck with them.

boat,truck,car when stripped down to the block they are all pretty much the same. just make sure you get a 4 bolt main with a forged crank. you want the right cam for your tree truck or you will not be happy. jasper has awesome engines and they build to suit your needs they have a great warranty as well. when getting a rebuilt engine you get what you pay for. avoid cheap re-man companies like advanced auto and many others.

anyone know any other good places to shop for rebuilts other than Jaspers. Would a napa rebuilt be a cheapy?

anyone know any other good places to shop for rebuilts other than Jaspers. Would a napa rebuilt be a cheapy?
an automotive machine shop would prolly do a good job. our local napa has crate engines directly from the manufacture, i was told they buy the new motors from ford or Chevy and use all napa parts to complete the build, not sure if that is true or not. companies like advanced auto will not machine much of anything, instead they use brass/copper like alloy's too shim things and use bushings, sleeves, spacers and whatever else they can to keep cost down and make worn out parts fit ta spec:dizzy:

Last edited:
Asplundh trucks

Asplundh ran these in all their trucks of this age. I realize people are down on them but seriously a family with that much money certainly makes good financial decisions. It was in their best interest to run a 366 or they wouldn't have done it.

The 366 is the smallest of the 366/396/427 family, it was made in diesel, gas and propane versions, it has been a very durable industrial engine for many years in two ton trucks for chevy, their are thousands still running the road today, many have a high nickel content block, they are easily rebuildable, many have had a life span of several hundred thousand miles, I would take it over a 427 in a truck any day, we have had them in farm trucks and have had great luck with them.

You are right on the money!

366 a big block? how many liters is it? i have a 383 in my iroc-z it is a small block

Yes a 366 is a big block! Your 383 small block is a 350 small block most likley with a 400 small block crank. The stroked 350 (383) is pretty comon in the hot rod world. The cubic inch of a motor does not have any thing to do with big block or small block though, there are alot of 400 plus cubic inch small blocks, As far as small blocks and big blocks go there is no cubic inch cut off where it changes to a big block. The big block is just as it sounds a totally diff block, heads, etc. Chevy also had a stock 400 small block. The smallest of the big blocks was the 348 in about 1958 or 59 later followed by the 409bb.

Back