371XP Crank Case ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osadayo99

Tattooed & Employed Unrepentant Fenian
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings All , It's been a while.....given a 1998- 371XP junker , seems to be in line for a rebuild {I revel in the challenge to bring the dead back to life}
The crank case has a hole right behind flywheel , while it was running it appears as though the flywheel ground against igniter and some chips created a hole. All else seems to be in order.
Was thinking of trying to repair hole with JB Weld ? Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks for any and all feedback !

I've repaired holes in Tecumseh blocks that had the connecting rods exit violently...so many that I call the engines "Te Comes a part"... I put as many broken parts back into the hole as possible, then smear thin layers of JB Weld over the hole 24 hours apart....On some I've backed up the JB with sheetmetal inside the crankcase. If the hole in the chainsaw is small, I'd give it a shot.

JB works well on mag chainsaw crankcases, cleanliness is most important. Get the metal slightly roughed up with sanding or blasting down to clean metal, remove all oil and contamination and you will have a strong repair. A hole will need backing up to hold the JB as it will sag or run , sometimes a dam is needed, wax, clay or even masking tape will work where needed.

I've repaired holes in Tecumseh blocks that had the connecting rods exit violently...so many that I call the engines "Te Comes a part"... I put as many broken parts back into the hole as possible, then smear thin layers of JB Weld over the hole 24 hours apart....On some I've backed up the JB with sheetmetal inside the crankcase. If the hole in the chainsaw is small, I'd give it a shot.
We had a retail store called K mart aka came apart!

Latest posts

Back