371xp help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooms01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a used 371xp and need some opinions of what is wrong with it. It is a real pain to start which I knew but this thing wont idle either it just dies and than trying to get it started after its warm is almost impossible. When it does start you have to feather the throttle or it dies (bad bog). I basicaly gave up with it and grabbed a different saw. I did grab it again later and managed to get it started but after revving it up noticed a bad stumble stutter when revving it up cutting. This saw cut awesome the little bit I did get to use it and would love to use it more but its really a crap shoot if I will get it started. All the other saws would fire after 1 pull when warm. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

sounds to me like you got an air leak, check around the carb base, make sure the cylinder bolts are tight, then it might be the crank seals.

Personally, I would thorougly check everything out that will affect fuel delivery. Pressure test the crankcase and fuel line. Inspect carb--rebuild if necessary and set mixture screws to factory setting. Replace fuel filter, then vacuum test the fuel tank to check the condition of the tank vent.

Check your fuel line, and fuel filter. Those Husky fuel lines do like to dry rot from time to time. Especially between the fuel tank and cranckcase of the saw. Where it's often packed full of sawdust and you can't really see between there too well. Your carburator may be in need of a good cleaning and/or carb kit. If your carb has limiters on it pop/pry them off with a screwdriver. Turn your needles in gently into their seats, and back them off again 1 1/4 turns. Adjust from there. Also the ignition module on those saws are known for acting up on occasion. The module P/N was superceded about 6 times. We had a 372 in the shop the other day with a ignition module acting up.

Oh yeah, and the intake boots do like to crack and leak from time to time as well. Opps, and check your impulse line for cracking/rotting too.

Hope this help you out.

Nick G.

Last edited:
NIcholas hit it on the head. Check the fuel line between the tank and the case. Very hard to see. I went thru the same thing on my father in-laws 371. Never saw the cracked line because you just cant see in there. The fuel line is a PITA to change but it can be done. I bought a foot of line and fed it thru with a coat hanger. Screwed up the ends of the line but just cut off the bad parts and snip to fit. This saw was doing the same exact thing as yours so I would really check that. :greenchainsaw:

Back