371XP ported big bore kit no 3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUSSIE1

Al.
Reaction score
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
I've just recently finished porting a third BB kit I recently purchased from Bailey's. The barrel wasn't the the best I've seen by far. Quite a few issues. The combustion chamber had pretty bad sand casting that needed cleaning up. I had to file some of the external transfer for the flywheel to clear. I had to elongate the mounting holes for the base screws to take. The thread for the antivibe spring needed to be tapped further as the screw wouldn't go in far enough to tighten the spring. I was wanting to keep the exhaust duration at 158° as I'm trying to create as much torque out of this as I could. Unfortunately to fix issues with the exhaust roof, I've ended up with more duration than I wanted at 161°. I've been able to get another 3mm wider all up on the ex than what I have been able to achieve previously. I fitted the 28" bar with a used loop of round filed semi skip chisel and cut some hardwood. It is running rather well. It has nice torque. I will post the video when it's finished uploading in a couple hours. i will get a another vid when I can in smaller wood as it revs well and rips in the smaller wood.

You posted this with two hours of light left in the day and yet still no vids???

What the...

:)

Sorry fella's, went out with a mate to cut firewood while the vid had half an hour to go and well, a couple of bourbons or more and a scout out in bush and a nice little trout stream.....you now how it is...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYHuEmZWxo4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYHuEmZWxo4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The piston that's in it at the moment.

I'll run this piston till the new one arrives for modding.

DSCF2783.jpg

That saw looks super strong Al. Great job. I'm glad you were not harmed by them wild Dingos running around. :D

I never thought I'd say this Al and I rarely envy the uniformity of another man's log but in this case...

Saw is cutting very well mate and looks to have a lot of torque. Not a screamer but pulls nicely.

Looks like Axel has a girlfriend :) I knew he wouldn't be able to help himself with a log and video camera running :cheers:

That saw looks super strong Al. Great job. I'm glad you were not harmed by them wild Dingos running around. :D

Thanks ED. Just don't you go building one as you will set a benchmark for all of us to aim for. :)

I never thought I'd say this Al and I rarely envy the uniformity of another man's log but in this case...

Yeah mate, some very nice trees/logs here for sure.

MCW2381454 said:
Saw is cutting very well mate and looks to have a lot of torque. Not a screamer but pulls nicely.

That's it mate, not a screamer like the 365 BB kit, but does rev nicely none the less with torque. I was wanting the small saw to be able to handle the big wood nicely but hold the revs in the cut.

MCW2381454 said:
Looks like Axel has a girlfriend :) I knew he wouldn't be able to help himself with a log and video camera running :cheers:

Yes Axel has to be in the limelight. I never fully realize his activity till I replay the video. Mishka is our second dog we saved from the Albury Dog Rescue. She is always with us, just that she sits rather still but if you look hard enough you can spot her in most/some of the vids.

:cheers:

It looks like it has plenty of torque. Nicely done as usual.

Good work Aussie, can't wait to do my next BB. I punked out my first one when I stupidly left the C clips tucked under the crown of the piston! Lol
John

Al
you got to find some wood that still has the bark on it to cut!
looks like it pulls pretty good. Good job as always.

Al
you got to find some wood that still has the bark on it to cut!
looks like it pulls pretty good. Good job as always.

Hows things Duane?

Nah bugger the bark mate, but I do cut plenty with bark. The wood giving off the fine stuff is bad enough. Sometimes you pull the bar out and there is something like a 5mm gap between the chain tie straps and bar rail from the small stuff clogging the bar. You can hear it in a couple of the cuts. This is why I give it a couple of blips between cuts to clear.

If you want a strato bigger than 71 cc you've got to get a 576.

Brad has asked how I went about relocating the ring end pin in this piston, so I thought I would post it here so others may benefit.

First up, I'm no machinist, so others more knowledgeable in this area may have a more professional approach to this.

I have a drill press with a home made milling table attached, so made for a reasonably accurate lining up.

I removed the ring pin that protruded into the ring groove with a diamond impregnated bit after cutting level at the ring groove with a cut off disc in the Dremel. You can buy a packet of these diamond bits with various shapes and sizes for something like $10. (have seen them on Ebay etc) I ground out the pin with a cylindrical bit but left it flush with the back of the groove. I found the centre of the piston and mounted it in the vice. I used an end mill bit also known as a slot drill. Size is 1/16" which is 1.588mm in HSS 1/4" 6.3mm shank. The end mill bit is needed because your pin hole is half way off into the ring groove. I cut to the depth of the ring groove. From that point on, I used a 1.6mm drill bit. I made a pin out of a 1.7mm HSS drill bit for an interference fit. Now, when I used the end mill bit in my drill press, the drill chuck did run off centre a little (oscillate) so I ended up with the end mill bit cutting a fraction larger than the 1.6mm. This actually worked to my advantage as it didn't put any side pressure on the pin at the groove when inserting it. Cut your pin a tad shorter than your depth.

The reason I did this.
The 52mm kit piston is 35.3mm across the skirt. The Meteor 064 piston is 39mm across the skirt but is restricted by the ring ends to benefit from the increased width. When using the 064 piston in these 372BB's, you run them backwards as the ends are further apart on these against the Husky/kit piston and can foul with the upper transfers. So with the piston reversed you are restricted with the exhaust width due to the ring ends. By fitting a pin in the centre I run one ring at the top, the piston can be turned around to face the original correct direction and get the full potential of the skirt width.

With this kit I had the barrel milled .025 thou and ran the 064 piston as a popup. Because you gain revs by extra port area, I was wanting as much width/area as I could get without raising the roof so I could get good torque at high rpm for running larger bars. The trouble with this barrel is I had to raise the exhaust to 161° just to clean up the port and that's with .025 off the base, so I wasn't able to achieve exactly what I was chasing. Bummer. Anyway, it's turned out to be the most versatile 371/2BB yet for me so far.

Last edited:
Brad has asked how I went about relocating the ring end pin in this piston, so I thought I would post it here so others may benefit.

First up, I'm no machinist, so others more knowledgeable in this area may have a more professional approach to this.

I have a drill press with a home made milling table attached, so made for a reasonably accurate lining up.

I removed the ring pin that protruded into the ring groove with a diamond impregnated bit after cutting level at the ring groove with a cut off disc in the Dremel. You can buy a packet of these diamond bits with various shapes and sizes for something like $10. (have seen them on Ebay etc) I ground out the pin with a cylindrical bit but left it flush with the back of the groove. I found the centre of the piston and mounted it in the vice. I used an end mill bit also known as a slot drill. Size is 1/16" which is 1.588mm in HSS 1/4" 6.3mm shank. The end mill bit is needed because your pin hole is half way off into the ring groove. I cut to the depth of the ring groove. From that point on, I used a 1.6mm drill bit. I made a pin out of a 1.7mm HSS drill bit for an interference fit. Now, when I used the end mill bit in my drill press, the drill chuck did run off centre a little so I ended up with the end mill bit cutting a fraction larger than the 1.6mm. This actually worked to my advantage as it didn't put any side pressure on the pin at the groove when inserting it. Cut your pin a tad shorter than your depth.

The reason I did this.
The 52mm kit piston is 35.3mm across the skirt. The Meteor 064 piston is 39mm across the skirt but is restricted by the ring ends to benefit from the increased width. When using the 064 piston in these 372BB's, you run them backwards as the ends are further apart on these against the Husky/kit piston and can foul with the upper transfers. So with the piston reversed you are restricted with the exhaust width due to the ring ends. By fitting a pin in the centre I run one ring at the top, the piston can be turned around to face the original correct direction and get the full potential of the skirt width.

With this kit I had the barrel milled .025 thou and ran the 064 piston as a popup. Because you gain revs by extra port area, I was wanting as much width/area as I could get without raising the roof so I could get good torque at high rpm for running larger bars. The trouble with this barrel is I had to raise the exhaust to 161° just to clean up the port and that's with .025 off the base, so I wasn't able to achieve exactly what I was chasing. Bummer. Anyway, it's turned out to be the most versatile 371/2BB yet for me so far.

Um. Yeah. Well. Um. English next time Al :)

Latest posts

Back