372 loses power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chopper

Chopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Long time Stihl owner first time Husky user. Just purchased a power tuned 372 from the fine folks @ Madsens shop. I was looking at a MS440 but had read so many good things about the 372 that I thought I would give it a try. I thought it would round out my line up nicely 066,460,372,361,026. Soon as I got it home put bar and chain on and did some test cuts. I was pretty pleased with the performance. Headed out to the woods yesterday to cut a few trees for my buddy and while making the face cut it started to bog down almost like it was starving for fuel. Needless to say the back cut was almost impossible to finish the saw would not die but spool down to almost an idle I even pulled the choke to see if that would help. All that did was kill it. It was not belching smoke so I dont think that it was flooding out and YES the gas was mixed properly with Stihl oil by the way (maybe the saw is being cranky because I'm not using Husky brand oil) But I got the tree down safely. SO riddle me this guys why would the saw cut like gang busters straight up and down but not on its side. And I did try it on both sides with the same results. I call a saw tech at Madsens and he suggested that I check the fuel pick up and the fuel line for holes or splits or to see if it was hung up on something and not moving around. Everything checked out fine. Any help from you guys would be great.

HiOctane

HiOctane

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
At first,looks like your fuel pick up,but you check it.Does the fuel pick touch the bottom of the tank or a almost,maybe you got a too short hose.Husqui has few lenght that fits on those saws.Lo speed adj could be too lean also.The only thing left will be the carb,open it and clean it to be sure.

Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters

Addicted to ArboristSite
sounds to me like you might have a problem. does it idle normally?

Another possiblity is that the saw has a lot of crap in the carb which needs to be cleaned out.

Chopper

Chopper

ArboristSite Lurker
I did check the fuel hose and it was plenty long enough at least long enough to pull about 3 inches out of the filler hole. The saw would idle fine accelerate fine in bucking position but not in falling position. I did check carb adjustment too and they were set properly.

Chopper

Chopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Its all probably a moot point now Madsens said to just send it back and they would take care of everything. They seem to think that its a faulty carb. Gonna go plop it in the mail.