372 xp modification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this has been probably covered before, but I recently bought a 372xp and was wondering what modifications can be made to my saw to increase the power. I have heard of walkerized saws but nothing else. What will give me the most power for the cheapest price? I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

Hey Weatherby, I made a few inquires lately about the same saw and modifications. Seems like it's a matter of how much you want to spend. From what I've read, you can't go wrong with any of the "Big 3" saw modifiers you go with. I just recently opened up the muffler (with the help of a fellow Arboristsite member) on my 372 and it seemed to increase performance substantially!!! I'm sure there is a lot more knowledge out there.....hopefully you'll get some response.

Jeff

Overall, it appears that the best bang for the buck is opening up the mufflers. I recently did that on my Stihl 026 and 046 and was amazed at what tiny openings the new factory mufflers have. My 10 year old 021 has at least 2-3X the flow area as my 046!!

It's amazing these saws run at all.

The power tuners do a lot more, but the "low hanging fruit" is to get these modern saws to breath better and this starts with the mufflers.

All it takes is a Dremel tool and a carbide bit.

I don't get too aggressive. I usually stop once I give the saws a 2-3X increase in the output port surface area. It seems to make these saws perform better but without a dyno it's hard to quantify.

Originally posted by davefr
All it takes is a Dremel tool and a carbide bit.

Or even a decent drill bit set and a 12v. DeWalt cordless drill followed up with a small hand file! :D

I had a noticable increase in power with my 026Pro with only one additional hole inside. I think I'm going to ream it out a little more after looking at some older muffler designs from before the EPA got involved. I believe there is still more power to be had in my muffler.
:blob2:

Latest posts

Back