372 xpw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justintimesc

Reaction score
Long time lurker here. Going to look at a used 372 xpw this afternoon. Saw is a 2006 model and has been ported by Rich Dugan of Oregon. I believe he goes by "sawking", not real sure. Saw looks clean and well cared for. Anything in particular to look for or at? Never bought a used ported saw or a ported saw for that matter. Have been looking for one for months that was somewhat close, so I could put my hands on before I bought it.

Has anyone here ever run a saw that he ported? I have not so this is simply a concern I would have. He has tutorial videos on YouTube showing him significantly enlarging the transfer port ducts. This is generally considered a bad idea, as it slows down transfer velocity. Like I said though, I haven't run one of his saws, so they might run really well.

if it starts and runs decent, idles yada yada price is good and the piston doesnt show funky wear then try it worse case scenario you get a used oem jug and swap it. he might be the next big thing. likely it will run better then stock even if it is bad it will be a learning tool. I think haywire haywood had a 361 like that years ago..

I wouldn’t touch a ported saw with a 10ft clown pole. The 372xp is real nice right out of the box. Just buy a new saw and save yourself a lot of headaches. You will know exactly where it has been.

I wouldn’t touch a ported saw with a 10ft clown pole. The 372xp is real nice right out of the box. Just buy a new saw and save yourself a lot of headaches. You will know exactly where it has been.

The Simpsons Dictionary

clown pole
n. a pole used by clowns for poking, or as a metaphor to imply avoidance.

You will now go back to your home towns and do kids' parties, swap meets, and all the other piddling crap I wouldn't touch with a ten foot clown pole.
Episode: Homie the Clown

I had one he ported. Bought it used on ebay to see what the 372 fuss was about. It was better than stock bit no wow to it.

He knows what he's doing as well as most who do port work operating from this site, but he's paranoid about selling hopped up saws and you won't get anywhere with him if you call to ask him about anything. I really do not enjoy how he idles customers saws on bare asphalt the entire time he warms them up for test running.

He won't talk about much unless he knows you because there's a rumor going around Oregon that it is illegal to modify chainsaws. I verified that to not be true when I contacted the Oregon department of forestry.

Mike did the porting look like this?
Guessing numbers were

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 43
Note: The dolmar with the cod piece looks a little ridiculous unless you are Freddie Mercury.[/QUOTE]
You got me with that one....
Russ
Codpiece is one word though...

My stock 372xp (not xt) was a dog stock, in fact it had not much on my 038 mag and way less torque. My 12mm 044 would smoke it. Then with another exhaust outlet, it was equal to the 12mm 044. I have two ported by different builders and that improves them at least 40%. I am happy with a stock 044 but not a 372. I suspect that Huskys improve more with porting than Stihls do. Of course that is model dependent.

Basic woods style port jobs on 044/440's and advancing the ignition timing will turn them into an absolute animal compared to stock.
The same can be said for the 372xpw or xp (non x-torq).

Apparently the guy who designed a few saws for Husqvarna and designed the original 372xp says he gets an average of 58% more power with a longer life when he hops a Husqvarna saw up.
His name is Gary Hunt.

Basic woods style port jobs on 044/440's and advancing the ignition timing will turn them into an absolute animal compared to stock.

Apparently the guy who designed a few saws for Husqvarna and designed the original 372xp says he gets an average of 58% more power with a longer life when he hops a Husqvarna saw up.
His name is Gary Hunt.
I'd love to talk with him any way you can put me in contact with him?

I have seen saws for sale by Gary hunt before. The seller usually has his name as a selling point. Russ

Has anyone here ever run a saw that he ported? I have not so this is simply a concern I would have. He has tutorial videos on YouTube showing him significantly enlarging the transfer port ducts. This is generally considered a bad idea, as it slows down transfer velocity. Like I said though, I haven't run one of his saws, so they might run really well.

What do you mean by "transfer port ducts"? Is it the intakes to the transfers, or is it the inner/upper part of the transfers?

As far as I know, that 75cc cylinder needs considerable widening of the transfers in general, but making the intakes to the transfers more than the inner transfers is a bad idea?

His name is Gary Hunt.
Did he have a close connection to the Irish Professor Gordon Brown?

Latest posts

Back