372xp Cuts to the right. Not the normal chain issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer39

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can not get my 372 to cut straight. I thought it was my bar and chain combo so I purchased a new 28" Oregon bar and a few chains. I Put the new bar and chain on and I am still having the same pull to the right. It cuts straight for the first 4" or so but as soon as you run the the saw up to the dogs it pulls to the right. I can not even use the saw in any large wood because it makes it bind up.

What else could cause this?

I can not get my 372 to cut straight. I thought it was my bar and chain combo so I purchased a new 28" Oregon bar and a few chains. I Put the new bar and chain on and I am still having the same pull to the right. It cuts straight for the first 4" or so but as soon as you run the the saw up to the dogs it pulls to the right. I can not even use the saw in any large wood because it makes it bind up.

What else could cause this?

Maybee the weight of the powerhead being more on the left side hooks it to the right? Maybee support the powerhead more?

Sharpen the left hand cutter teeth on the chain

any way you can post pics of your other chain, and the 'new' chains cutters? I'd be looking at the left hand cutters real close, sounds like something imbedded is raising ####ens with the left cutters....

This is the most messed up thing I have read. A new bar and chain cutting curves simply stumps me and have no advice other than sell the saw to me. I need a good challenge.:)

This is funny because of the following story. Two years ago myself and a buddy were cutting firewood. He was becoming frustrated with his ms290 so I let him grab my other 372xp. I instructed him to throw another chain on it. After about five minutes or so of watching him struggle while cutting with the saw, I made my way over to him. He said to me that it kept cutting crooked. I took the saw over to the truck expecting to see the chain rocked. As I was inspecting the chain, I noticed that something was off. The outside edges of the right side cutters were wore. As I was performing a chain swap I noticed what wasn't right. He had put the right side felling spike on the inside of the clutch cover lol!

I got 2 new chains for the 28" bar and one new 20" chain for my 20" bar and all three chains out of the box cut to the right. My hand sharpened chains act the same way.

Maybee the weight of the powerhead being more on the left side hooks it to the right? Maybee support the powerhead more?

I don't think it's the operator. I have had the saw for years and cut many straight cords of wood with it.

This is funny because of the following story. Two years ago myself and a buddy were cutting firewood. He was becoming frustrated with his ms290 so I let him grab my other 372xp. I instructed him to throw another chain on it. After about five minutes or so of watching him struggle while cutting with the saw, I made my way over to him. He said to me that it kept cutting crooked. I took the saw over to the truck expecting to see the chain rocked. As I was inspecting the chain, I noticed that something was off. The outside edges of the right side cutters were wore. As I was performing a chain swap I noticed what wasn't right. He had put the right side felling spike on the inside of the clutch cover lol!

Never had the spikes off this clutch cover. I sure do wish that's all it was.

any way you can post pics of your other chain, and the 'new' chains cutters? I'd be looking at the left hand cutters real close, sounds like something imbedded is raising ####ens with the left cutters....

I'll post pic tomorrow.

Anyway that you have .050 gauge chain on an .058 or .063 gauge bar?
You wouldn't be the first... and won't be the last...

TFB

Check your dog bolts. I've felt like shooting myself over that a few times. Also make sure the oiler plate isn't torn and pushed out....same deal on the shooting one's self.

Anyway that you have .050 gauge chain on an .058 or .063 gauge bar?
You wouldn't be the first... and won't be the last...

TFB

I agree, sounds like too much chain slop. Only way that would happen with new stuff would be a mismatch. There should be no wiggle with a new bar. The new bar is what I use to cure cutting to the right.
Hope it's simple

I'm guessing there's something pushing the lower part of the bar out from the saw. Either the pin for the adjuster screw isn't squarely in the hole of the bar or some gunk/debris under the oiler plate.

I agree, sounds like too much chain slop. Only way that would happen with new stuff would be a mismatch. There should be no wiggle with a new bar. The new bar is what I use to cure cutting to the right.
Hope it's simple

According to the box and bar they are both .050. What part on the chain measures .050? The part that rides in the bar groove? I will mic the chain to make sure that both of my new .050 chains are not wrong.

I'm guessing there's something pushing the lower part of the bar out from the saw. Either the pin for the adjuster screw isn't squarely in the hole of the bar or some gunk/debris under the oiler plate.

This could be the issue, I replaced the tensioner with one from a friends parts saw. I don't recall if it started happening after that or not. Was over a year ago but I did not use the saw much since then. On my 346 the tensinor is not tapered and fits tightly into the hole on the bar. My 372 the tensinor is tapered and has wiggle room. Is this normal?

If not the tensioner, perhaps something is stuck under the oiler plate. I'll post some pictures tonight.

According to the box and bar they are both .050. What part on the chain measures .050? The part that rides in the bar groove? I will mic the chain to make sure that both of my new .050 chains are not wrong.

The drivers should measure .050, .058, or .063 and need to match the bar. Is the bar marked .050" near the powerhead end?

like rounder said , look at the bar plates . and see if it's taking the edge off. it happens.

Back