372xp or 576xp - I've read the threads, still undecided.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarDunkerton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey dudes. I've been lurking for years, but need some advice. I'm looking to do some milling, and plan to purchase a bigger saw this week to compliment my 346xp and 450e Huskies that I use for firewood. I'm debating between a 372xp and a 576xp. For the purposes of running an Alaskan, I'm leaning toward the slightly bigger & slower 576 without auto tune. I'm looking for any advice that you guys may have.

Thanks in advance.

I've got them both...the 576 with autotune has more pulling power torque than my 372..if you are gonna mill a lot get a 395xp or the old style 066... got those to CAD at it's worse..the 395 is a monster

Why not get the autotune for milling? The 576 AT I had was great even when modded. Hard to beat a perfect tune all the time. If you don't need a 70cc saw for general use and it's only going on a mill look in the auctions section on here and pick up a used 90 cc saw of some flavor in the next few weeks.

I'm no professional, and I'm pushing my luck buying a 576, a bigger saw isn't really an option. I guess the part about the Autotune that makes me nervous is that I'm pretty old school. I like tinkering, and I'm more concerned with reliability than anything else not to mention the autotune is closer to $900 vs the $750 I'm looking at now. So if it was between the 372 & 576, go with the 576 right?

Thanks again

Neither is a good option for milling. What size mill you planning on running?

Small 30" or less. Its just for occasionally milling small stuff as hobby, I figured a 5.7bhp 74cc saw would cut it for that type of thing.

Ripping the grain on the end like that is a lot harder than cross cutting or noodling. Most people use 90 cc for over 24" width. I would look for a good used saw from a member here before I spent $750 on a 576 and left wanting a lot more power.

there have been several occasions when I milled 28" wide oak boards with my j-red 2186 (husky 385) on the 36" mill. In those kind of cuts, it takes about a minute to move 1' through the cut. I cut 10' long slabs for bar tops, and each one took about 10 minutes of running wide open. It got the job done, but took a little bit; I have never used a larger saw for milling though. When I mill 12" pine boards with the same powerhead on my 24" mill, it flies through it. Long story short, the bigger the saw, the faster through the bigger wood; as you know, it would be the trade off of money and time spent to do what you want.

I would be using either the 576 or the 372 for bucking red oak for fire wood as well, but any milling would be small hardwood. The thicker stuff that I might mill would be pine since there's so much of it available here. Can't see myself doing any bar tops!

I'm no professional, and I'm pushing my luck buying a 576, a bigger saw isn't really an option. I guess the part about the Autotune that makes me nervous is that I'm pretty old school. I like tinkering, and I'm more concerned with reliability than anything else not to mention the autotune is closer to $900 vs the $750 I'm looking at now. So if it was between the 372 & 576, go with the 576 right?

Thanks again

Husqvarna 372 XP old school! No plug ins required.:laugh:

I have a 576 non AT. I really like it, I still have an urge to get a 372 after watching a few of Brad and Stumpy's videos. They just seem to scream!! I am not at all an expert so I can't comment on the better suited for milling occasionally, or guide you to a suitable unit for milling.

The 576AT should only be $50 bucks or so more than the carb...
I think I paid $30 more...

Anyway, of the two, I say 576.

The 576AT should only be $50 bucks or so more than the carb...
I think I paid $30 more...

Anyway, of the two, I say 576.

Which one is a better logging saw. Around here a lot of guys run 372 and i haven't been around a 576 but i looking at buying one of the two to up my firewood output.

Which one is a better logging saw. Around here a lot of guys run 372 and i haven't been around a 576 but i looking at buying one of the two to up my firewood output.

What do you consider logging? Most logger I know work on the landings, are fellers, or are operators.................most dont do the firewood gig till they get home.

What do you do for firewood? You buying tandem loads of logs and processing, or felling, bucking, skiding what have you yourself, then transporting it all over hells half acre and handling the same darn stick of wood 17 times?

Get the Husqvarna 666, it covers all uses.

Keep looking used. There is very little used price difference from the 90s to the 70s.

You are looking at around 850 to a thousand or so for a new 70, you can get two used saws for that.

What do you consider logging? Most logger I know work on the landings, are fellers, or are operators.................most dont do the firewood gig till they get home.

What do you do for firewood? You buying tandem loads of logs and processing, or felling, bucking, skiding what have you yourself, then transporting it all over hells half acre and handling the same darn stick of wood 17 times?

Get the Husqvarna 666, it covers all uses.

Ok. Most loggers around here run small crew of around 3 guys two cut and buck and one skids logs out to landing and loads the truck so when i say logging saw i mean which one is better for felling and bucking.

Latest posts

Back