New Chainsaw Advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satchamo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post here! I have been browsing allot of the topics for advice but most of what I’ve seen was older advice.

So I’m looking for saw recommendations so let me give you my requirements/backstory to help-

I am a big time bow hunter here in the Midwest. My family owns quite a bit of land that I’m fortunate enough tobe able to manage as needed. So because of this I do ALOT of invasive species removal- primarily autumn olive, Bush honeysuckle, Sumac, cedar and so on. I will also be doing some tree ringing and general clean up and bucking on our ground with the occasional big tree falling. Likely never bigger than say 24 inches.
For the type of cutting a do, light and maneuverable is a must as you are often getting under the canopy of giant bushes to hack them off and I may walk miles with it in my hand.

I have been borrowing my dads stihl MS 250 and it’s served me well but it can be a bit cantankerous to start. If you flood it, it can halt your day in it’s tracks which can be beyond frustrating. I have used a ms271 enough to know I have no want to haul around a saw that heavy at this point in time.

So as of now I’m looking in the 50 cc range with 18 in bar. I’d like the unit weight to be in the 10 lb range.

This criteria in mind, I’ve narrowed it down to the MS251, MS250, or the Ecco CS490.

I haven’t looked much at husky as I have a lot of stihl and echo dealers very close but I would certainly be open to other options.At this moment I’m leaning towards the stihl ms251 if for no other reason than the Stihl cool factor. But I have had some frustrating moments with the MS250 BUT now that I know how flood prone they are, I have mastered the choke system and rarely have problems anymore.

So if you were in my shoes, what saw would you buy?

I should add my budget is $400

Hello,
This is my first post here! I have been browsing allot of the topics for advice but most of what I’ve seen was older advice.

So I’m looking for saw recommendations so let me give you my requirements/backstory to help-

I am a big time bow hunter here in the Midwest. My family owns quite a bit of land that I’m fortunate enough tobe able to manage as needed. So because of this I do ALOT of invasive species removal- primarily autumn olive, Bush honeysuckle, Sumac, cedar and so on. I will also be doing some tree ringing and general clean up and bucking on our ground with the occasional big tree falling. Likely never bigger than say 24 inches.
For the type of cutting a do, light and maneuverable is a must as you are often getting under the canopy of giant bushes to hack them off and I may walk miles with it in my hand.

I have been borrowing my dads stihl MS 250 and it’s served me well but it can be a bit cantankerous to start. If you flood it, it can halt your day in it’s tracks which can be beyond frustrating. I have used a ms271 enough to know I have no want to haul around a saw that heavy at this point in time.

So as of now I’m looking in the 50 cc range with 18 in bar. I’d like the unit weight to be in the 10 lb range.

This criteria in mind, I’ve narrowed it down to the MS251, MS250, or the Ecco CS490.

I haven’t looked much at husky as I have a lot of stihl and echo dealers very close but I would certainly be open to other options.At this moment I’m leaning towards the stihl ms251 if for no other reason than the Stihl cool factor. But I have had some frustrating moments with the MS250 BUT now that I know how flood prone they are, I have mastered the choke system and rarely have problems anymore.

So if you were in my shoes, what saw would you buy?

I should add my budget is $400
I'm not going to be one of these people to suggest different saws to what you have mentioned so out of the three I'd only recommend the 490. It's a pro saw, the only one of the three at that, magnesium case and will last a lifetime more than the Stihls. It will also out cut the other two. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’m completely open to other suggestions!!
Dolmar ps420/421. Light and got gobs of power for its size. You can carry that all day, pro build, cheap. Watch some YouTube vids. It's the next saw I will be getting, regret getting rid of my first one for a Husqvarna 545, and the 545 is a good saw.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Both the 251 an 490 feel more cumbersome then the ms250. My 025 which is the early version of the ms250 feels more powerful and way more peppy then my newish cs490. The 490 is nicely made and smoother but it is easier for me toting and handling an 025 or ms250 for long intervals. A new ms250 will need broke in and a muffler mod to wake it up but the 490 needs it worse in my opinion. As for the 251, it feels closer to what i call mid weight the ms250 feels truely lightweight . I hate working on the ms251, haven't run mine long enough to give a power comparison. Clamshell crankcase works fine especially on smallish saws.

yep, EA4300 is same as Dolmar 421

Love my little EA4300. Magnesium case/pro level build. Light. Solid as a rock. Easiest starting saw I've ever had. Runs more like a 50cc saw than a 42 cc saw!

If you buy one, also buy a small set of mechanic's screw drivers to tweak your carb after the super easy process of pulling the catalytic converter. Cat out gives it a boost and helps it run cooler.

I bought a MS 261 CM last year. With the electronic carb it's a nice starting and nice running saw. Magnesium cases. A little pricey but worth it to me. Read some reviews on a MS 261CM and see what you think.

So looking at your guys advice I believe I’ve ruled out Stihl. I’m more leaning towards the echo cs490 vs 4300 makita. Is the added CC of the 490 a big enough difference?
From what I’m seeing it will be possible to get the echo a bit cheaper on eBay but that’s splitting hairs. Both are reasonably priced.

So you've got 3 needs as I see it:

1) Cost of $400
2) Lightweight
3) sometimes into the occasional 24" wood

If cost was not a factor and one saw had to do it all, I'd really want to go with a high performance 50cc saw that could handle the intermittent 24" log or tree - that said, 50cc is not great for anything over 20" in my opinion, and it best suited for 16" and under. The top tier 50cc saw (imho) is a Husky 550xp MkII - built tough and while a little heavier than a stihl 261-cm, It is strong enough to handle anything if you have enough patience. Bottom line, I think you are going to want more jam than anything in 40cc range.

Because cost is a factor, then you've got to go with the strongest 50cc saw in your budget to also keep the weight down. I'm guessing the Echo 490 has a bit of an edge over the ea4300, but I haven't ran one to compare.

If you were only into 14" wood max, then the ea4300 is perfect, but larger wood and even your Echo 490 will likely not put a smile on your face.

If you could find a decent second hand Husky 555 or 357, with a light 18" bar, that might fit your bill even better. You already know that you don't like the weight of the consumer grade 270, but I'd bet you wouldn't mind the power to weight of a 555/562xp/357 whenever you wanted to take on a 24" tree.

Ideally, to handle the type of wood range you are into, is a 2 saw plan.

If you have the time to work on a saw that won't start/and or idle and willing to haul it back and forth to a repair shop by all means save some money on refurbished or used.

Latest posts

Back