372xp question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67chevelle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a new 372 and I love it so far but I'm having a little trouble adjusting the oil pump.I cranked it out 4 turns like the manuel said and it really used alot of bar oil,I mean it was really dripin all over when it was running.It just doesnt seem right.So I backed it off a turn and that helped the problem.Ithen left it set overnight and it looked like a small puddle of bar oil had leaked out of the saw from somewhere.It seems to be leaking the oil from a small hole behind the bar.I'm using walmart brand bar oil,and it seems pretty thin,could this be the problem or do I have a problem with the saw?Thanks for any help-Kory

Almost every saw I've ever had does the same thing. With temperature changes, pressure can build in the oil tank, and it takes the easiest path to escape, which is out through the oil pump to the bar. Either set something absorbent under it, drain the oil tank, or loosen the cap a tad and lay the saw on it's side.

What TonyM said, and perhaps try a better grade of oil. I am not that familiar with the Wal Mart oil, other than it is priced pretty cheap. But if it is too thin, that will certainly lend itself to leaking out easier....

are you using the stock husky bar with the small oil hole? you may be pushing more oil then the chain can pick up through that small port. it is pushing around the bar. can you get your hands on a GB bar? :) marty

ps. is the oil port plugged?

From my experiance with husky thats norrmal. I have had a few 372's at this point and really like them and all but my new one have leaked just like what you described. My 346xp does this as well but I have not found it to cause any problems.

pbtree said:
What TonyM said, and perhaps try a better grade of oil. I am not that familiar with the Wal Mart oil, other than it is priced pretty cheap. But if it is too thin, that will certainly lend itself to leaking out easier....
From what I understand, several people here use the thinner walmart oil. I tried a gallon and found it didn't seem to have any tack at all, was drippy, seemed like regular motor oil. I have used regular oil in past, when on a logging crew thats ALL we used in all our saws, cheapest motor oil we could get on sale. At $2.88 a gal, the walmart stuff is cheaper than regular oil, but I like the thicker tackier stuff. For what its worth, my Husky 365 also leaks a little oil when it sits... no biggie, nature of the beast.

I used an Oregon bar a while back (mainly for an oddball test) and found that compared to the Stihl bars which have oil dams behind the inlet holes, the Oregon just lets all the oil run out the tail and makes a royal mess everywhere.

All three of my Huskys drip oil as you described, I have never worried about it.
Mine drip more when left in the basement where it is warmer than the garage.
Also when the saw is off, the oil will work its way back down the bar grove which is slanted tip up when not in use and drip out the back of the bar.

I tried Walmart oil and did not like it. It seemed even more thin than straight winter grade.

My 372 leaks like this, my other husky's don't. Anyway, if I remember when I'm done with the saw I open the oil cap up, then screw it back on and put it away, then it doesn't leak. That seems to break the siphon, fwiw

If you turned it 4 turns instead of 4 clicks. you probably broke the bottom of the pump.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
I dont have any problems with Huskys leaking oil (2 346's, 372, and 385). I did have a problem like you describe when I had a Windsor bar. It had two oil holes and one wasnt being blocked and it leaked oil all over the place. Switched to Oregon powermatch and had no problems.

Rob

Yea I'm using a husky bar and chain 28''.Thanks for the help.Ihavent had any more trouble with it leaking since Ihave done what tony m said.But I did have the screw backed out 4 full turns,not 4 clicks.Right now its out 3 turns and seems to be fine.The owners manual makes it sound like you are supposed to adjust by counting full turns.Thats where I'm a little confused because my small husky (350) only has 3 positions.Hopefully I didnt break the pump like Grande Dog said.Thanks for the help-Kory

Oregon "Lubri-dam"

glens said:
I used an Oregon bar a while back (mainly for an oddball test) and found that compared to the Stihl bars which have oil dams behind the inlet holes, the Oregon just lets all the oil run out the tail and makes a royal mess everywhere.

I think the Oregon "Lubri-dam" is meant to perform the same purpose as the Stihl system, preventing the oil from running backwords off the bar. Is it not working?

Maybe it just is too new to have been present on the bars some of you have tried?

http://www.oregonchain.com/fb_lubri2.htm#ldam

I use the poulan oil in my 066, 036 and my ms 180. They don't leak at all when I put them away. Just thought I would pass it on bar oil is bar oil

I still believe this is primarily a temperature issue. When I put away my saws after cutting, the oil tank is usually 1/2 to 1/4 full because I just ran them out of gas. As the outdoor temperature drops, the air in the tank contracts, and more air will probably find a way in, even if slowly. Then if the temperature rises quickly, pressure builds and out comes the oil. If I go out into the shop and turn on the heater, every single saw will start oozing oil all over the place, some worse than others. I think living and working in a colder climate will have a more dramatic effect on this problem.

temp change

Do your saws wimper when you you put them away? My shop is heated and the saws can be heard "breathing" when the temp changes. It is hilarious, I had the neighbor's kids believing the saws were haunted. You could hear the one saw about every 60 seconds it would wimper to let the pressure off when the sunlight through th window hit it. Loosen the caps and it stops the noise. Otherwise think up a good ghost story to tell the kids. My saws sit on piece of cardboard to catch the drips, the box stores will let you have the 4'x4' cardboard sheets that are used as shipping/packing. Cut/roll them up and they make for good firestarter for the bonfire.

Yea my manual is exactly like that one.I can see where some would consider a ''turn'' one complete revolution and some could consider a turn one click.

Latest posts

Back