Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the combination of guide bar, drive sprocket, and (sometimes) saw. We get used to 'standard' drive link counts until we run into something different. Some companies, like ECHO, made some of their bars 1 drive link different just so that consumers would buy their chains from their dealers. Not a big deal, as chains can be made up (or adjusted to) any drive link count. But, in response to the OP's original question, just wanted to point out that drive link count is a better way to specify chain loop lengths than by bar lengths, which are also nominally sized e.g. a '16-inch' bar may be anywhere from 15-inches to 17 inches in actual length).

Philbert
Did not know explains a few things thanks!!!

...a better way to specify chain loop lengths than by bar lengths, which are also nominally sized e.g. a '16-inch' bar may be anywhere from 15-inches to 17 inches in actual length).

Philbert
Classic example is the very common "Small European" mount (Oregon 095) range.
13" .325 = 56DL
15" .325 = 64DL
18" .325 = not 76DL. only 72 (it's really only 17.5")

Classic example is the very common "Small European" mount (Oregon 095) range.
13" .325 = 56DL
15" .325 = 64DL
18" .325 = not 76DL. only 72 (it's really only 17.5")
My 'favorite' example of this is when we upgraded our STIHL "16-inch" saws, from the MS250 to MS260 PRO models, several years ago.
Both saws were STIHL brand.
Both were marketed as '16-inch'.
Both used the same 0.325 pitch, 0.063 gauge STIHL chain.
But the MS250 ('small mount guide bar') used a 62 drive link loop, and the MS260PRO ('large mount guide bar') used a 67 drive link loop.
That's when I got really good at spinning loops 'up' (larger), using 'donor loops', to save our inventory of chains!

Th other one I mentioned is the '16-inch' ECHO bars that take 3/8" low profile, 0.050 gauge, 57 drive link loops. The same chain, in 56 drive link loops (Oregon sells retail as 'S56') is probably the most common chain available in the US at retail stores. But it will not fit the ECHO bars.

Philbert

Back