385, 2083 or 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbabcock

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
The time has come for me to round out my saw collection. I have a gap in the range in the 80-100cc range. I'm ruling out the 394/395 as the power to weight ratio of these saws is a little on the low side. That leaves the 385 and 066 or maybe the Jonsered 2083. Brand and price really aren't the issue and also, this saw will go straight to Ken Dunn for woods modifications. Thanks in advance for any input.

I just looked at the Jonsered web site and I think that the 2083 may be a bit on the small side at less than 80cc's. What about the 2095? Is this like the 395? I also wonder about it being a 20XX vs. 21XX model number. Is this indicative of a prior generation that may be upgraded in the near future?

Be interesting to hear from Ken,which saw he considers will give you the best performance after modification.

May your chips get bigger and bigger,
Rick

The 2095 is the same bore/stroke as the 395, but Jons lists it as having a little less power. Of course you know how much faith you want to put in advertized ratings. 385/2186 seems to be gathering a real following, as it has almost the grunt of the '95's and is lighter and more manageable.

I'd bet that at some point in the near future Jonsered quietly drops the 2095; for me that would be reason enough to get one. I know I'm not in your income bracket, but I have the same "chainsaw jones" you do, and I just want somethings I really don't need all that bad:blob2:

Yeah Eyolf, I certainly don't need the saw, but like you, I just want it and that's good enough for me. I just got off the phone with Dennis after I woke him up at 7:15 AM, BC time. Dennis hasn't seen anything as yet that would confirm the demise and replacement of the 2095, but he says that it's the same as a 395.
He also said that the new 2186 is indeed a 385 in red. I'm sort of leaning toward the 385 because it really wakes up in a big way with mods, but I'm sure that there are also many good reasons to get the 066.

The best saw in this range is the 2100 Husky. I know it is not made anymore but Ken can come up with the parts to build a nice one. If you think I am wrong on this choice just ask KDHotsaw. Mike

No arguments here, Mike. Would one of these still make a reliable modded woods saw that one can still get parts for?

Doug, yeah I know I slept in this morning.

My choice, is of course the little red one. The 2186 is the same as the 385 with a few updates. Oh yeah, and its red. The 066 is a great saw...but lacking in the color dept. As Mike said the 2100 is probably the best saw...but its a bit heavier and harder to get parts. (not that Mike doesnt have a 2100 parts factory).;)

Just bought an 066 and an 044 got 'em all tuned & sharpened. Then for kicks I thought I would do some timed cuts against my 2094 & 2063. 2094 & 066 were about even in speed, but I noticed more vibration from the Stihl however it is definitely lighter and has a better feel to it ( for me). The 2063 blew away the 044 consistently, the same about vibe & feel for these two also. I sure like the air filtration on the orange & red saws too, always alot less on the filter
Think I'm going to sell the Stihl's, anti-vibe is a big deal with me.
Eric

Doug,

Are you looking to adopt a son who likes to play with chainsaws? If interested let me know. Wish I had the money to just pick up and extra chainsaw when I felt like it. Anyway, good luck with the purchase, im sure whatever you get will serve you well.

Rob

Doug I would have to say go with the 385 from what all the saw builders say they take the mods really well I have heard somewhere 40-50% increase in power etc..I'm sending my 385 off to have some mods done to it in a few weeks can't wait :D to see the difference..What does Lambert think you should get....

Later Rob..

Ken and John both say 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. Both saws run real well. If both saws are built to equivalent specs., then the 066 should win because of its bigger displacement. Ken believes the difference to be maybe half a second in a 6 second cut. The 385 does responds very well to modifications, Ken indicating better than a 50% reduction in cutting times. The 066 is really strong out of the box and requires less work to bring it up to full woods potential.

So it all really comes down to which saw feels better rather than how fast they cut. On any given day, sprocket, bar, state of adjustment or chain could really level the playing field out in the woods.

Ken came up with a good recommendation and that was to get both saws, have them modified, see which one I like better, then sell the other one. I think that's what I'll probably do. It shouldn't be too hard to sell either KD saw to someone in the know. I'll get the 385/2186 from Dennis and the 066 from John (if I can figure a way to keep him from doing the JDHotsaw mods to it before sending it to Ken).

Yeah I guess that could be the way to go buying both and seeing which you like better..Man it must be nice I wish I could do stuff like that....Let us know when you do this and test both saws :cool: Doug who do you use for a Husky dealer around here?I have been using Superior Power Equip on Elm St. in Manchester for a while good people there just wondering..

Later Rob..

Yeah, I use Superior as well. I frequently run up to MB Tractor off of Exit 20 in Tilton for my tractor stuff and they stock Husky's as well. Prices are a bit on the high side, however. For my Stihl's I use Still's up on Mammouth Rd. (I have a BR400 and an FS85), but they only stock up to the 044 in size.

By the way, I'm meeting with a few people about the land on Monday in regard toward other options involving either selling it or leasing it. I certainly haven't forgotten about your company. I don't know much about landclearing or selective harvesting, but according to John, there's enough potential money and work there to even make it worthwhile for him to come down for a while as well. He wants to come down and survey the parcel if it comes to that. There are many things up in the air right now, so I'll let you know for sure. Having you two guys work on it would certainly be great in my book.

Thanks Doug it would be fun to meet up with you and Lambert for once and have some fun with the saws.Yeah I know exactly where MB is I used to live up that way a few years back.For my Stihls I usually use Eddies Saw Service here in E.Derry he's a really good guy to deal with.The only thing I don't like about Superior is that there really is'nt much parking esecially when I go there around 9-10 AM..They looked lost when I brought my saw up there w/ the Walkerized muffler on it for them to tach the carb for me :D Keep in touch

later Rob..

Doug, get an 066!!! i LOVE mine!!! Dennis built the one that i have and it is a VERY strong saw. i used it tuesday for a stump cut on a 45'' red oak with a 28'' bar and full comp and it went through it fast.

Latest posts

Back