385, 2083 or 066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan,
Do a Willock notch cut with your 066G and post up a picture. If the top angle cut is no more than 5 degrees from vertical, that might just put me over the top for an 066.

Seriously folks, I really think I'm going to have to go for both and make my decision side by side. Either that, or maybe I should just go visit John and try out both up at his place.

stihl vs husky

hello doug,
your going to start the great saw debate trying to compare the 066 with the385. their both great saws and it will take cutting with them both in a modified state(the saws, not you)to ascertain which saw you like the best. Or you can call the ol woods philosopher john lambert and ask him. I just sent him a modified 385 husky along with a fully modified 066 barrel and piston to play with so he could probably give you some insight on the subject. From my conversations it sounds like he is leaning twards the swedish saw
ken

My distributor tells me the 2083II and the 2095 are no longer continue in the line. There are some remaining in the pipeline. They are replaced by the 2186. He implied it was an EPA compliance thing coupled with long term sales planning.(I read that as e-lux does not want to sustain production of more than one saw design in a displacement class, which does make sense)

And, as you probably already know the 2149 has been replaced by the new 2152/353.

The 36cc and 40cc bottom end Jonsered (Poulan)saws are apparently up for replacement by something newer from Husky.

Last edited:
I agree with DB and KD on this I think the best way to tell which saw is the best for you is to buy both and have the fully modded and then decide after running each saw for a while...

Later Rob...

Hi Doug, although your welcome here anytime to try out my saws and take pictures, I would do sometime different than others. You could get a 2186 or buy my brandnew, never used Oleo-Mac 999. Very few have a 999, its a very tough saw and takes the big mount bar as does the 088.
John

Doug;

I think you should try both. If I had half the money you do, I'd be up to my armpits in saws.
Anyhoo, here's my two cents. I feel like the Husky/ Jonsered has better air filtration, and better mounts. Also they are balanced a little better for a longer bar.

Here's the final word on Stihl vs. Husky, and I will explain with as much eloquence as I can muster.
Lets say you have two choices:
Choice #1: 5 basket case 066's pounded into oblivion, sight unseen.
Choice#2: 5 basket 385's pounded into oblivion, sight unseen.
What choice would you make? The 066's would be the best choice, because I bet you could build at least 1 complete saw out of the Stihls. Stihls are just plain tougher, longer lasting, more heat disipating, easier to work on and fetch a much higher price when used.
This doesnt mean I dont like Husky, because they are a fine saw in the hands of a pro, such as the likes of me.
My 385KD makes the trees piss their roots, and why wouldn't it?
I am sure there is no point to my long dissertation, but I still happen to be right, in view of the fact that the opinions I express do not affect the long term scheme of things in any way, shape or form, since the doctrine of today is the malarky of tomorrow, except nature law of course, which is irrefutable.
John

Hi Tony, I deliberately dug it up to bug Doug for not getting an 066 yet, but if I were him I would get a 2186W, but it is laudable how he handles a KD racing chain, he simply rolls it in a ball and stuffs it in a box, just like some woodtick, so I drove a couple of nails in his garage wall so he can respectfully hang his chains. He's such a putz.
John

I can validate your statement, Dennis. The Zypper told me a few weeks ago that he was tired of the whole chainsaw gang thing and had to find an excuse for not going to Clearwater. I suggested that he use the broke scenario because people would believe it. In his own egocentric way, he actually believes that people would miss him if he didn't show up.

Broke? I doubt it. I just cashed a certified check for $10,000 USD from him that he sent me just to keep my mouth shut about this. What a hapless sucker.

If still interested, I have for sale:
2-J'Red 2083's @ $375 each,
1-Husky 288 @ $375

All with 20"-24"B&C.

If you going to 'power it up", a good used saw should work the $$$ math out well.

Hi Horselogger, the yellow spot is actually a "smilie".
Here's my ported, piped, puffed,pounded, PPed and powertuned Huskybarny. It goes on my beltloop when I go Downtown, just to be in fashion, and why wouldn't I?
Frank's Planks

Back