385 or 372 if bought on ebay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day I posted a question regarding recommendations between the 372 and 385. I got an awesome number of responses... thank you all. I just want to be clear, I am looking at used saws on ebay, so I cannot actually try them out. Would that change any opinions? There was about an even split between the two. One concern was the 385 bottom end. Most of the saws I"m seeing listed are 2001 or 2002. Were these the "problem years" for the 385? Should I lean toward a 372 of similar vintage?

FWIW, IF you're looking at the 385 here is some info I gleaned off another site. This was in response to a question asked about changes made to the 385 since its intoduction:

Tank caps as you said.
-RPM limited and epa carb in 04
-Modified carb area base after # 0309004001
-Wider clutch cover
-Improved PTO bearing and seal afte # 04390XXXXX
-Improved oil pump pinion,now metal after # 05150XXXX

Maybe this will help. Another FWIW. A good many of the 385's (not all) I have seen on ebay seem to be professionally used saws.This indicates to me you need to look hard at these saws and ensure you are not bidding on a pro logger saw that is completely worn out. Maybe the serial number info above will also help to figure out which saws to bid on and which to not bid on. The above info only pertains to the 385 and I can't vouch for its accuracy. Maybe SawTroll can help to verify it's accuracy?

As far as 372's vs 385's, they are both great saws. I don't feel one is better than the other but they are different saws. I DON"T THINK YOU WILL GO WRONG WITH EITHER ONE. Look for both models and then pick one in the best condition and best price to bid on.
Good luck,

Scott

Latest posts

Back