390 or 395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tengoose1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im going to get a bigger saw. I have a 562 running a 20 in bar. How big will a 390 pull like the 562 will a 20? I'm leaning towards 32 in bar. Looking for some good input. Thanks in advance.

I doubt if you bury the 32" in hard wood that it will pull as well as the 562 burying a 20" bar if that is what your asking. 30" and less cuts I think the 390 will feel plenty healthy with a 32" bar, if you are constantly using the entire bar length you may want more umph if you want to get through wood impressively fast.

It is a matter of how much bulk and weigth you tolerate, and your needs. Impossible to answer really. The 395xp is a huge saw, so most likely would take the 390xp.

390 will pull a 32" no problem they will pull up to a 42", a 562 will pull a 32" bar fairly well in soft woods and ok in hardwoods. Now a 395 I wouldn't run anything less then a 36 on because of the balance feels odd and will pull up to a 50 stock and ported will pull a 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a good thread going on this last week. I thought I was gonna get the 395 and some guys here recommended the 390xp. I went and bought the 390 last weekend and I'm very happy with it. Either way both r good choices

I do run both almost daily and prefer my 385/390 over the 395 with weight being the main factor but the torque of the 395 is hard to beat.

I have a 385 with a little porting done it pulls a 32" with .404 buried in oak very well. I've had a 36" with 3/8 on it and that gave it no trouble. I've ran a 28" on a 562 and I wouldn't advise it I wasn't impressed at all. Get a 372 if u wanna run that size bar.

390 will pull a 32" no problem they will pull up to a 42", a 562 will pull a 32" bar fairly well in soft woods and ok in hardwoods. Now a 395 I wouldn't run anything less then a 36 on because of the balance feels odd and will pull up to a 50 stock and ported will pull a 60.

You really ran a 32" on a 562 and we're impressed with it?

Yeah in 5 and 6 foot cedar with semi skip square chisel chain. For the size and weight of the saw its an impressive saw.

have had a ported 2188 and ported 395xp. still have the 395xp. it is the scariest saw I have ever run. with 28'' bars on both in red oak, it was no contest. 395 smoked the 2188. Both were perfectly tuned and the 2188 was very strong. The 395xp was just that much more. Several have posted that a 390xp will be faster in 32'' wood and smaller, but they haven't ran the right 395xp. If it's done right, it is stupid strong/fast. It is a larger saw, it handles like a larger saw, but when I drop that bar on a log, it's a race to the bottom of the cut every time.

Big stock saws aren't very fast. They tend to be strong chuggers. 390 will handle and oil a 32" just fine, but don't expect it to fly thru 32" wood like a 562 will with 18" wood. That's why god gave us porting.

As I understand it, the 390xp really needs porting, as the original porting isn't as good as in the 385xp. I believe the jump in cc really was an EPA thingy, but of course I can't prove it. About the same as with the 75cc 372xp?;)

The 395xp is particularly suited for heavy bars, because of the outboard clutch - as is the 056 Mag.

I have a 385 with a little porting done it pulls a 32" with .404 buried in oak very well. I've had a 36" with 3/8 on it and that gave it no trouble. I've ran a 28" on a 562 and I wouldn't advise it I wasn't impressed at all. Get a 372 if u wanna run that size bar.

A larger carb and a more open muffler does a lot for the 385, the cylinder is excellently ported as is (not so with the 390xp).

Yeah in 5 and 6 foot cedar with semi skip square chisel chain. For the size and weight of the saw its an impressive saw.

I agree it's a good strong impressive saw with a 20" on it even does ok with a 24" but was in way over its head with the 28" imo.

A larger carb and a more open muffler does a lot for the 385, the cylinder is excellently ported as is (not so with the 390xp).

I agree all that's done to mine is opening up the bottom transfers and mm. 385 oem cy

I cut mostly black Locust blow downs and live trees the Oak i get is always blow downs. I have access to a few large standing dead Oaks. I'm leaning towards the 390 but there is only hundred dollars difference between the two

Back