390xp Highspeed problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, you said that you tune your 390’s to 12.8. You made yourself look like a fool to anyone who knows a 390 lol
Dude, you said that you tune your 390’s to 12.8. You made yourself look like a fool to anyone who knows a 390 lol
Ok smart guy lets cut some real wood,like 20"hard maple.....Then we shall see what tune is best!:dumb2:

Ok smart guy lets cut some real wood,like 20"hard maple.....Then we shall see what tune is best!:dumb2:

Why do you do this to yourself? Lol your saw is slower then a stock one for starters and we get bigger maple then that here. in fact it’s a waste of time so it goes to firewood. If we got a maple on a sideline it’s to be treated like a snag. Dump the POS straight down the hill lol. we don’t need to compare cause damn near anyone’s stock 390 on here would beat yours lol

How did a high speed adjustment thread for the 390XP turn into a "towel hanging contest"?.....LOL.

Tuning for maximum no-load rpms is NOT how to tune a saw, especially if it has a rev-limiting coil in it. The coil will mimic the 4-stroking caused by a close "H" speed carb setting.

I much prefer to start out just a tad "rich" with the "H" speed screw with noticeable 4 stroking a tad early in the rpm range, then start making cuts and leaning the saw up every so slightly with each cut until it makes the best power. With each cut made remove the load about half way thru the cut and make sure it 4-strokes nicely then cleans up instantly when the load is applied.

With "H" speed tuning, unless you are in some sort of speed cutting contest it is best to er a tad rich than lean. This brings in more lubricant for the engine and reduces piston speed and EGT's, all for the better of the saw in the big scheme of things......IMHO.....Cliff

How did a high speed adjustment thread for the 390XP turn into a "towel hanging contest"?.....LOL.

Tuning for maximum no-load rpms is NOT how to tune a saw, especially if it has a rev-limiting coil in it. The coil will mimic the 4-stroking caused by a close "H" speed carb setting.

I much prefer to start out just a tad "rich" with the "H" speed screw with noticeable 4 stroking a tad early in the rpm range, then start making cuts and leaning the saw up every so slightly with each cut until it makes the best power. With each cut made remove the load about half way thru the cut and make sure it 4-strokes nicely then cleans up instantly when the load is applied.

With "H" speed tuning, unless you are in some sort of speed cutting contest it is best to er a tad rich than lean. This brings in more lubricant for the engine and reduces piston speed and EGT's, all for the better of the saw in the big scheme of things......IMHO.....Cliff

Cliff your talking about tuning it like this?

That's one way to do it, although I typically er a bit toward the rich side of things vs right on the edge of being lean.

I don't have a saw in my line-up where you are going to be able to adjust it in the cut, so I'll start a cut and stop for each adjustment as I lean it up to find the ideal adjustment where the mixture is correct vs it hitting the rev-limiter.

I'd also clarify that when I saw "er a bit rich" I'm not talking where you are loosing any power in the cut and the saw is "puking" all over itself, not making optimum power, etc. I've just found over the years that being a little conservative is easier on the P/C and I've never once "smoked" on in any of my saws. Matter of fact my 480CD was purchased new in 1989, has at least a zillion hours on it, and P/C and compression are perfect..........Cliff

wow , some guys got really wound up. all i was trying to do is get some info on why an unlimited coil is not allowing higher rpms than stock. im just experimenting with this saw. and i tuned it just like madsens instructed, and leaned it out a touch to see how it affected rpms. ive been cutting timber for years with stock 390s and this is the first one ive tinkered with. just trying to learn about a more complete function of these saws and how certain mods may help with efficiency. thanks all

wow , some guys got really wound up. all i was trying to do is get some info on why an unlimited coil is not allowing higher rpms than stock. im just experimenting with this saw. and i tuned it just like madsens instructed, and leaned it out a touch to see how it affected rpms. ive been cutting timber for years with stock 390s and this is the first one ive tinkered with. just trying to learn about a more complete function of these saws and how certain mods may help with efficiency. thanks all
Good muffler mod and a timing advance will go along ways

Back