390xp or 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also inboard vs outboard clutch .....

I have a jonsered 2095 which is similar to the 394/395, although mine is ported and it cuts mighty quick to noodle forks and twisted wood with a 24" bar. Need longer, but that's what it's wearing to deal with hard dry Aussie hardwoods at present.

Not really - the bore and stroke is the same, but similarities end right there!

Ok so I guess I will get the 390xp instead of a 461, and a 660 instead of a 395xp, and all will be right in the world. :rock:

Woooah woooah down there mr mountain...we live by a credo here on AS. It states that we dont choose " between" saws we chose saws...so if you cant decide "between" saws you buy them both....

Class dismissed.
Have a great weekend!!!!

(Sheesh that was a close one)

There is no substitute for horsepower.......... The two saws are not that much different in weight. You would never notice the extra weight. However you would notice the extra power. The 395 has way more torque, and oils better. If you ever want to run a bigger bar, you can. I have never been disappointed by having too much power. Just my opinion.

There is no substitute for horsepower.......... The two saws are not that much different in weight. You would never notice the extra weight. However you would notice the extra power. The 395 has way more torque, and oils better. If you ever want to run a bigger bar, you can. I have never been disappointed by having too much power. Just my opinion.

I can use my 385 with a 28 all day and be pretty sore and tired, but a 395 feels much heavier, balances less well, and vibrates a hell of a lot more. It is easily possible, however, that you are manlier than me! :cheers:

I can use my 385 with a 28 all day and be pretty sore and tired, but a 395 feels much heavier, balances less well, and vibrates a hell of a lot more. It is easily possible, however, that you are manlier than me! :cheers:

Put that 28 on a 395, with an 8 or 9 pin sprocket, and you will be having so much fun, you won't notice the things you mentioned.:hmm3grin2orange: I am sure your 385 is a little lighter, but there is a big power difference. I wasn't putting any saw or anybody down. I still say there is nothing like horsepower. A saw with more power will cut the wood up way faster, and with way less cut time, which eaquals less work, even if it is a pound or two heavier.

Put that 28 on a 395, with an 8 or 9 pin sprocket, and you will be having so much fun, you won't notice the things you mentioned.:hmm3grin2orange: I am sure your 385 is a little lighter, but there is a big power difference. I wasn't putting any saw or anybody down. I still say there is nothing like horsepower. A saw with more power will cut the wood up way faster, and with way less cut time, which eaquals less work, even if it is a pound or two heavier.

No put down taken! 395 is just a lot more saw (in both good and bad ways) than the 385/390. I want a stumper, but will likely bypass the 395 for a 3120 for your exact reasons, plus I won't have to carry it all over! That being said, if I found a cheap 394/395 I'd buy it in a second and enjoy the bigger biceps!

No put down taken! 395 is just a lot more saw (in both good and bad ways) than the 385/390. I want a stumper, but will likely bypass the 395 for a 3120 for your exact reasons, plus I won't have to carry it all over! That being said, if I found a cheap 394/395 I'd buy it in a second and enjoy the bigger biceps!

I have a 3120 that I use for big stuff, and stumps. It is big and heavy, but what a powerhouse. The surprising thing about it, it is extremely smooth, and vibration free. It is the smoothest saw I own. It has been modified so that it is fully adjustable, and governor free. It saves allot of time and work.

Woooah woooah down there mr mountain...we live by a credo here on AS. It states that we dont choose " between" saws we chose saws...so if you cant decide "between" saws you buy them both....

Class dismissed.
Have a great weekend!!!!

(Sheesh that was a close one)

Copy that. So you're saying I must buy all 4 above mentioned saws to keep my soul from damnation correct? I can live with that.

Whats a Governor ? Rev limited coil ??

the Governor we have is a big chubby moderate wannabe ...but he's better then the last few we've had...

Sorry. Yes, a limited coil. Our Governor is a third time, still can't get it right liberal.

I have a 3120 that I use for big stuff, and stumps. It is big and heavy, but what a powerhouse. The surprising thing about it, it is extremely smooth, and vibration free. It is the smoothest saw I own. It has been modified so that it is fully adjustable, and governor free. It saves allot of time and work.

I got my first 3120xp recently - I was suprised how nice a saw this
is when dealing with suitably big stuff - it offers a lot of value for
its size and power - it is really "fun to ride" in addition ... .

I got my first 3120xp recently - I was suprised how nice a saw this
is when dealing with suitably big stuff - it offers a lot of value for
its size and power - it is really "fun to ride" in addition ... .

Smooth, isn't it? They are almost deceiving, until you realize you are done with the cut, and buried in cuttings.:msp_thumbsup:

I currently own many saws, and have owned many others, 385's, 390's, 395's. you will notice the weight of a 395 over a 390, 395 is like a Tank, whereas the 390 isn't, does the 395 have more power? Yes! Ported?!! Look out! You know what saw I reach for most often? A ported 372. Even bucking big wood, 40" plus, I like a 372, double buck, or cut from both sides, my arms thank me for it at the end of the day. All saws have their place, but when a 372 is faster in a certain wood, I grab that saw. If I need a 36" then the 395 comes out.

Good Plan,,,

Well I already have a 372xpw. I want to take the 32" bar off my 372 and put a 24 on it. The 390 or 395 would be my "big saw" then, and have a 32" at least on it all the time. I actually would even get a used 394xp if I could find a nice one for a really good price, as I wouldn't be using it a ton.

Sounds like your saw should be the 395xp then?

I agree with Niko's assesment,,, However, a good running 394XP has got some torque to handle bigger bars, I run a 32 and a 36 on mine with full comp stihl 33RSC in hard wood,,, and pine,,, doing commercial stump removal service

Last edited:

There's no replacement for displacement- ported or not. Plus, the one factor that everyone here overlooks is the chassis. How much abuse can the chassis take? How much heat can the chassis absorb and dissipate? The 395 can take a lot more abuse than the 390 by a long shot. The 395 is light years ahead of the 390 or 660 when it comes to milling which is the hardest work a chainsaw can do.

I currently own many saws, and have owned many others, 385's, 390's, 395's. you will notice the weight of a 395 over a 390, 395 is like a Tank, whereas the 390 isn't, does the 395 have more power? Yes! Ported?!! Look out! You know what saw I reach for most often? A ported 372. Even bucking big wood, 40" plus, I like a 372, double buck, or cut from both sides, my arms thank me for it at the end of the day. All saws have their place, but when a 372 is faster in a certain wood, I grab that saw. If I need a 36" then the 395 comes out.

I do not own a 372xp (but a couple of the earliest 576xp) -
one can note that a 390xp weighs 1 kg more than a 372xp,
but offers 1.2 more hp - that's a pretty big hp per kg gain.
Although, admittely, thinking of it, a 390xp probably feels
a little "soft in the chassie" ... .

Latest posts

Back