390xp Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juttree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A few days ago I picked up a 390xp from Craig's list for $200, it was beat to hell but I still figured it was a good deal. It also came with a 24" bar and chain which was in rough shape but definitely has a lot more life left in it. My plan was to buy the saw and possibly flip it but I'll probably just end up keeping it because I'm a saw whore.
Anyway, I thought I'd do a thread on the repairs.
Here it is right after I bought it.
IMAG1737.jpg IMAG1738.jpg IMAG1742.jpg IMAG1743.jpg IMAG1744.jpg
After blowing it off as best as I could.IMAG1745.jpgIMAG1777.jpg IMAG1751.jpg

I thought I would start with the plastics so I wet sanded with 400 up to 2000 grit sandpaper. Honestly though, I really don't have a lot of patience for stuff like this so I didn't spend a lot of time on it. As you can see, the plastics had a few good dings and dents in them but they came out ok.
IMAG1746.jpg
After washingIMAG1756.jpgAfter sandingIMAG1766.jpgAfter a quick polishIMAG1772.jpgIMAG1748.jpg IMAG1758.jpgIMAG1770.jpg IMAG1774.jpg

As for the motor, the saw has 140 on the gauge and the piston and cylinder look good through the exhaust and intake. The initial plan is to put new rings, seals, and lines in BUT this is what I found.IMAG1740.jpgIMAG1780.jpgIMAG1781.jpgIMAG1782.jpgIMAG1783.jpgLooks like I'll be adding a piston to the list. Luckily the cylinder is fine except for the squish band and one little spot that will easily clean up.IMAG1780.jpgIMAG1782.jpgIMAG1783.jpg1424504724829.jpg1424504774583.jpg1424504853438.jpg

My 372 gave up 2 weeks ago and looks sort of like this 1 thru the exhaust. Just curious how would a bearing from the crank end up in the top end?

What broke loose and dented that piston?
That's what I want to know too, everything is solid, smooth, and intact. Clips, clip ears, needle bearings, rings, ring pins, and crank bearings are all there and smooth as butter. I think something came in rather than let loose. The top ring is stuck at the exhaust side from the beating too. All the bearings have plenty of mix on them and I have not had this saw running yet. He told me he would start it up for me but I had my 4yr old daughter with me and she gets scared when saws are running, plus by the looks of it I wanted to check it out before running it any more. After I pull the seals I'll flush it out real good. One scenario I was thinking was, the muffler has a massive dent in the front of it and during that incident something came in. If you look at the muffler, there's a break around the tube for the muffler bolts so maybe a little piece of muffler got knocked loose and into the cylinder.1424530012097.jpg1424530053466.jpg1424530249642.jpg

Just a word of advise from somebody who's been there...

If u don't split that bottom end, and really inspect it, my hunch is your doomed to repeat that piston damage. You can do bearings, seals and gaskets in a husky for less than $35 bucks or so.

Well worth the investment.

And inspect that big end bearing really, really good. Make sure there's no chips flying off the bearing cage.

If u don't split that bottom end, and really inspect it, my hunch is your doomed to repeat that piston damage. You can do bearings, seals and gaskets in a husky for less than $35 bucks or so.

And inspect that big end bearing really, really good. Make sure there's no chips flying off the bearing cage.
Can't do it quite that cheap with that $40 PTO side bearing/seal combo but it would be worth splitting to check it out.

Thanks for the advice. Are you talking OEM?

I don't mind splitting it for the piece of mind but I'd be willing to bet that the bottom end is fine. There's no marks whatsoever in the crankcase, I know that doesn't guarantee anything but it sure doesn't seem as though anything came from down there.

Back