390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That and having a young family to take care of. Saws always come after family.

If fact, they come after a lot of things.

Too true. I got a used 390 right when this thread started and had to bring the jug to work to open it up a little. After a few weeks of owning it I finally got it together and running. The wife and 2 of my kids (7 months and 2 years old) had to look out back to see which saw I was playing with. Its a rare occasion that I get a chance to mess with a saw. Family time is more important, just not always as fun.:msp_smile:

My little girl will let me work on them sometime if she can ride her tricycyle around the garage until she gets bored. If the wifes home I'm usually in the garage messing with something before they get up. I might have a build going on longer than Will here on the 066. I started it at christmas and might finish it the end of next month.

Well the wait is finally over you guys. Ran it today in the back yard, just had 4 big ties strapped together. It runs good I think, it doesn't impress me as much as my 372 does, I definitely think there is more in there, going to go back in after its broke in, don't want to jump the gun yet just incase its real tight, this is only the first run so keep that in mind, and not properly tuned yet due to break in. I also took a vid in the same wood with same bar and chain with my 372, they are very close, 390 had a 8pin 372 had 7pin, it was hard to tell but I think the 390 was a little quicker, but that's just seat of the pants feel. Someone will have to get out the stop watch for me.

Vids uploading now, might be a couple hours, sorry.

Just watched the vids again a few more times. And now think the 372 is a little faster, I kinda thought it would be in this size wood, normal I guess. But its also set at about 14,5000 no load, the 390 was only hitting 13,5000.

Just watched the vids again a few more times. And now think the 372 is a little faster, I kinda thought it would be in this size wood, normal I guess. But its also set at about 14,5000 no load, the 390 was only hitting 13,5000.

Sounds about right Will......Its happened to me several times. Until the wood gets big and the bars get longer, Seems like a hot 70cc will pull more RPMs. Id thought the 8 pin on the 390 would have made up a lot of the difference......Just thinking out loud.

ptjeep and i done a little testing on my 385 today. i can say this i know where to get those missing rpm that it didnt have but i think when i did that i lost some of the torque. id rather have the torque that it had before the change. so i put it back.

Ya I agree with ya guys. I think my 372 is a very good running saw considering its not pulling allot of compression, when I first checked it was only pulling 160psi, probably a little more now. I really did very little work to the transfers so far on this. I think that may be the key to make this come alive, and maybe a little more intake.

Anyway here is the first vid. 390. Pardon the smoke billowing off of it, just the paint on the muffler burning in.

[video=youtube;pb96p_Xoajk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb96p_Xoajk[/video]

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the way that saw is cutting!

BTW, where's the winter facial hair? Now you're gonna get carded for beer. :msp_biggrin:

I really did very little work to the transfers so far on this. I think that may be the key to make this come alive, and maybe a little more intake.

The transfers and intake are key to the 390. You can have at least the RPMs of your 372 and boat loads of torque at the same time. Mine wil 4-stroke past 15K and will turn 12K in the wood. You can really lean on it too. It's in there:rock:

The transfers and intake are key to the 390. You can have at least the RPMs of your 372 and boat loads of torque at the same time. Mine wil 4-stroke past 15K and will turn 12K in the wood. You can really lean on it too. It's in there:rock:

Are you talking very little lower, and more upper trans work, mixed with a lot of intake?

Or did you hog the lowers?

Speaking of facial hair....

Ur straight razor is on its way. :)

Saw sounds good Will. What is that? Rotted 4x4's?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOL, you ASS, its 6x6's not rotten.

Feel free to PM me any more info if you like, on your after machine work numbers. As I remember ours were pretty close, I just didn't do much transfer work.

Here is the 372 to compare too.

[video=youtube;Vpkd-Xh30tU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpkd-Xh30tU[/video]

And the 390 to compare to.

[video=youtube;pb96p_Xoajk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb96p_Xoajk[/video]

Back