391 or 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Section VIII
Well, I think I'm going to go with the 441. But I'm disappointed with the local dealers and what they stock as far as accessories are concerned. Going to have to wait until a weekday when I can get out of work on time to make it to the store before they close. I want to get the extra big dual dogs and plan on getting a 20" and 25" bar/chain set.

Then to check around the area to get some wood for the winter...gonna have to be patient.

justtools
A friend of mine has a ms391 and I brought a 2171. We had a bunch of logs to cut up to split. There is No comparison between the ms391 and a 70cc pro saw. He had new Stihl chains. I tried his saw for a bit. Could do nothing but wonder if the chain was on backwards. It cut ok but anything over 20 inches was noticeably slower compared to the 2171.

Wood Doctor
Got a 441 C-M. 5% Discount helped me decide. But then again I ended up spending that discount on a 25" bar (20" came with the saw) and chain. Now to start getting some wood lined up for the winter...albeit a mild one like they always are way down here.
The 441 is a professional saw. 391 is not. The 441 is worth the extra money that it takes to own own.

Section VIII
The 441 is a professional saw. 391 is not. The 441 is worth the extra money that it takes to own own.

Well, I'm hoping I don't need to use the 2 year warranty I got for getting the HD oil along with the saw.

Thank you all for the inputs/suggestions!

Section VIII
The 461 may be either too big or beyond his budget. New ones around here are now $1000, power head alone. The American dollar has trouble buying Stihl professional saws unless you have lots of cash on hand to unload.

It was simply too much saw for my needs at the moment. The two dealers around Savannah that I visited had decent deals around the $1089.00 mark with 25" B&C for the 461. Wish I could justify going up to a 461 but 441 should be plenty for now.

I got the go ahead from the wife to get the 441 because she hates being cold in the winter and I refuse to go past 68 on the thermo. I'm hoping to be able to either get firewood for free or get the "please cut my tree for the wood" kind of job.