394xp oil pick up issues!?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04titanse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up this saw a week or so ago and everything works including the oiler. BUT when I went to refill the oil I saw that there is no pick strainer and the oil pick line is a rigid hard plastic not flexible rubber with a pick screen.

So I guess my question is was there any of these saws that came with a rigid oil line? Also how do I remove the oil pick up line? From the clutch and pump side or from inside the tank?

Thats how they came,,, If it aint broke,,,, Dont fix it!!! Ask the gun totin monkey about em,,,,, he has fast become a 394XP wizard and stuff!!! Jacob J can tell ya about em 2!!

there should be a strainer on the end for sure. to remove it you have to remove the oil pump. it just pops right out after the pump is off.

I doubt the way it is now is correct. If I were to run the saw sideways with the filler caps facing up it would not oil unless the tank was 100% full. The hard line runs basically right to the cap so if it runs too low on oil or the saw is run for extended periods on its side (milling) its not going to oil properly.

I think I am going to order a new line and pick up strainer and pop it in.

I've never worked on a 394 oiler. all the ones I've worked on worked good. I would assume they will be the same as a 395 and my 395 has an all rubber hose with a strainer on the end. maybe somebody rigged something up on that there saw. I have a spare line and strainer but shipping would cost just as much as you buying new from the dealer. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer charged $30-$40 for that piece of rubber and metal. around here they would :(

Alright well I sort of figured it out. There is a fully rubber pick up line with strainer in the tank that works properly. But there is also a hard plastic (yellow) line in there too. Not sure what that hard line is, although everything seems to be operational and original.

Alright well I sort of figured it out. There is a fully rubber pick up line with strainer in the tank that works properly. But there is also a hard plastic (yellow) line in there too. Not sure what that hard line is, although everything seems to be operational and original.

there ya go :msp_thumbup:

I'll take a look at my 394, but the 242 and 372xp both have a straight plastic tube for the vent.

Do you mind explaining what supply tube does? Also which diagram letter is the supply tube in? I can't seem to find it in the diagram.

I don`t see it in the diagrams either but it is a metal tube that is located inside the oil tank that is connected at the back of the oil pump housing and runs through the tank up to the back of the bar mount pad. The cases have to be separated to reinstall them when they fallout. I have done two of them that the metal tube has just fallen out of place, they just push into place tightly.

I've done a couple of these and I don't remember anything but the rubber pick up line with the brass screen.

same here unless the 394 is slightly different then the 395. i just installed an oiler on my 395 a couple months back and the only thing in the tank was the pickup hose and screen.

Latest posts

Back