394xp opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought two 394xp saws that were not running or not well for 300 put 300 into the two of them and one i had to put mo a new piston and rings and now i have two running saws. Most of the money was spent on the piston and rings and new anti vibe pieces. So far they have been great now if the weather and the snow will smarten up i can use them more. But with -30 weather and 2 ft of snow its hard to get motivated to use them. My last order of parts from the dealer just showed up so i can finish them off. Neither one of these two saws had been running for 3 years and they both needed new crank seals and carb kits. My prices are in Canadian which is always more than the US prices. So far they are great and have been fun to work on now i just need a mill for them.

I paid more (for my 394) than what has been mentioned, but the saw came from a reputable member here and was in known good condition. It was worth the piece of mind vs taking a gamble :) They make great torque in stock condition! If you don't have to carry it long distances and you are in good health, the weight shouldn't be an issue. This summer I had to pack it into the woods a good ways and I felt it lol. This is where lightweight bars make life easier!

I too got my 394 from a respected member here and paid a bit more. Saw has been gone over and runs great! I currently have a 36" and full comp on it; a stumping monster!

More 394 owners.. Good deal :)

Here's the only bucking video I have with the 394. I took the rakers too low and was still able to lean on her..

As a side note... Bee's love these saws. I hope you never find out!

I paid 200.00 for this one with a scored piston and cylinder. Muratic acid and some sandpaper cleaned the cylinder. Since it was apart the cylinder base was cut, new pop up piston, and a port job. Here are some pictures of how it turned out.
It pulls the 36" bar very well and is fun to run.

Attachments

• 100_1992.JPG
    100_1992.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_1978.JPG
    100_1978.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1980.JPG
    100_1980.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 28
More 394 owners.. Good deal :)

Here's the only bucking video I have with the 394. I took the rakers too low and was still able to lean on her..

As a side note... Bee's love these saws. I hope you never find out!

Do you have dawgs on that thing? Doesn't look like it. Is it a choice of yours or do you just not have any? I don't run dawgs on my 395 mini mill saw as they just get in the way. Gotta be pretty armstrong to hold a 394 steady bucking without dawgs.

Do you have dawgs on that thing? Doesn't look like it. Is it a choice of yours or do you just not have any? I don't run dawgs on my 395 mini mill saw as they just get in the way. Gotta be pretty armstrong to hold a 394 steady bucking without dawgs.

It had one factory inside spike, though not the correct one, in that video. I tossed it as soon as Metals406 was able to make his custom spikes. I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be (got married), so if I can hold it, most people should be able to as well.

Here's a pic with the spikes

View attachment 322461

I have a low top, and I get what WC90 is saying about putting the hitop on it, but I will say that when the low top is working, it actually works better (in terms of needing to clean the filter) than my hitop 385. Mastermind turned mine from a torque factory into a screaming torque monster.

That's about 12-13 seconds to get thru 22" pine

It had one factory inside spike, though not the correct one, in that video. I tossed it as soon as Metals406 was able to make his custom spikes. I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be (got married), so if I can hold it, most people should be able to as well.

Here's a pic with the spikes

View attachment 322461

Ok just checking buds. Was gonna say i got a couple sets if spikes i've been hoarding if you didn't have any.

I have a low top, and I get what WC90 is saying about putting the hitop on it, but I will say that when the low top is working, it actually works better (in terms of needing to clean the filter) than my hitop 385. Mastermind turned mine from a torque factory into a screaming torque monster.

That's about 12-13 seconds to get thru 22" pine

The low top filter sure is easier to clean. It is just not worth it to me cause both my 395's are mini mill saws so i'm not gonna depend on the low top sealing that nasty mill dust out. Even though the 395's come standard with the HD filter i use them as an example. All my saws have HD filters except my 346. A buddy of mine brought his 394 to me with a number of issues. One was the air filter. Those spring strips on the cylinder cover were gone and the AF cover was cracked. He didn't know it was bad so kept running it. The saw had some intake side piston damage but not really bad. I was gonna put a new piston in but he decided to just run it. Compression was normal so not a big deal to him i guess. Hahahahah his 394 is a dedicated mill saw so i converted it to the HD filter set up for him when it was on the bench. I've still got enough parts to convert one more 394 to the HD filter so just waiting for one to arrive.

You know huskstihl. There is an option of a nylon mesh type HD filter which is really easy to clean. Just the felt ones are a pain to clean. This way you get the seal of the HD filter but the ease of cleaning like the low top filter. One of my 395's has nylon mesh and one has felt. I hate cleaning the felt one.

We've stayed on topic but successfully derailed the OP's thread with our own BS. To the OP, buy that saw (if you can get a deal on it).
Your good this has had a lot of information. I have put my offer on the table and see what happens. I'm still questioning that this saw would run with my 066 flat top.

I wouldn't replace the intake block just for the hell of it. An intake block isn't a wear and tear item. If it's good i'd run it. It's not like there will be any less chances of it cracking just cause you put a new one on there. Why spend money you don't need to on a saw you already got a good deal on. If you get it that is.

I'm just a dumb ass timber faller......new ones do seem to be less prone to cracking though.....cracks seem to occur with age and vibes.....don't cost much, less than a new saw......if my dumb ass timber faller experience serves me correctly.

I'm just a dumb ass timber faller......new ones do seem to be less prone to cracking though.....cracks seem to occur with age and vibes.....don't cost much, less than a new saw......if my dumb ass timber faller experience serves me correctly.

Don't be so hard on yourself :) these blocks don't degrade like the rubber boots do. I find the cause of these cracks are lean run which doesn't necessarily mean to lean. Just lean enough to make the saw run hot enough to crack that block.

Your good this has had a lot of information. I have put my offer on the table and see what happens. I'm still questioning that this saw would run with my 066 flat top.

Have you ran many husky's? If not me thinks you will get converted running one. My stepdad has an 066 flat top which i maintain for him and my 385 has handed it it's ass many times. Everytime were using them side by side actually and the 066 has an advantage in cc's over the 385.

Have you ran many husky's? If not me thinks you will get converted running one. My stepdad has an 066 flat top which i maintain for him and my 385 has handed it it's ass many times. Everytime were using them side by side actually and the 066 has an advantage in cc's over the 385.

Nope I don't touch those things!! And I doubt I would be converted. Only thing it might do is speed up the time frame I send the 066 for porting....lol

Nope I don't touch those things!! And I doubt I would be converted. Only thing it might do is speed up the time frame I send the 066 for porting....lol

It needs porting to beat a 385/390 husky. We'll see. Try the other brand. I have used lots of both brands and while i like stihl too hell would freeze over the day you see me go buy one new from the dealer. I only accept stihls for cheap or free. Husky's got better AV, better handling, and for the most part have more power or the same as the similar sized stihls. Unless yer comparing a 200T to a 335/338XPT. The stihl wins that one. LOL.

Last edited:
Sam is a well known saw hater. How else could you explain running 50:1 and admitting it:D

Latest posts

Back