395 or 3120 for milling black locust??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamtjewboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm nick in narrows, virginia. I am looking forward to going through all the old threads and learning about milling more. it seems like a lot of you guys have a ton of experience and have a wealth of information to share. i'm building a cob house with a timber framed roof with black locust, poplar and pine from my property. i have been milling with a 24" granberg with an old 288. I am selling the 288 on ebay for parts right now and am looking to buy either a 395xp or a 3120xp. what would u guys suggest? thanks in advance. -nick

The 395 or a Stihl 660 would be a much more practical purchase, since you can use them off of the mill without strain. If you already had a saw of that caliber, then the 3120 becomes a real choice.

Personally, I'd buy the 395. My 3120 is a milling machine, but I'd be lost without my 066 backing it up.

Mark

I agree that a 395/660 sized saw should suit your needs just fine. My 395 has sure impressed me so far. I bought an 084 because I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it and havent had a chance to mill with it yet, but like Oldsaw said it wont be seeing any action other than milling because it is just too big and heavy to be lugging around. :cheers:

how big is big?

thanks for the posts. i have never actually held a 3120. all of the dealers i have been to say they have to order it. how big and heavy is this thing? how much bigger than the 395 is it? thanks!

I believe it is 8lbs heavier than a 395, My 3120 dwarfs my 066 in the lineup. It's a tank, not a daily user. The 395, on the other hand, is small enough to use for a lot of jobs, and will buck the biggest logs you are likely to see.

Push comes to shove, the 3120 leaves the stable before the 066. The 3120 has only one job, the 066 has many.

Mark

I got the 395 and really happy with it

ditto... No, never milled with the big one, but did pick one up and feel how heavy the thing was. I wouldn't want to have to carry it around the woods all day, that's for sure. I've been told the 3120 is just raw power, lots of torque, lower revs, slightly slower chain speed... correct me if I am wrong somebody.

My 395 mills great, pleanty of power if you keep the chain sharp. Plus, I can yank it from the mill and use it for bucking the big stuff (30" and over)and although a big heavy saw, is not as heavy and huge as that 3120.

I've been using a 3120 exclusivley for milling for well over a year now, and can say with certantity that it runs circles around the 395 it replaced. Yeah it is heavy, but so is a 6' bar, mill frame, and 204 drive links of .404 chain. The point I'm trying to make is don't worry about weight on your milling saw. Lastly, black locust is one of the hardest, heaviest woods you're likely to come across, you're gonna need all the power you can afford (and more than a few chain files).

Black locust

If money wasn't an object I would get a 3120 next time around. I haven't done too much walking with my mill to warrant a weight concern. Might keep me form walking with the mill and the saw at the same time. I've got $2,000. into my 066 anyway (two p/c replacements).

Black locust, like to some of that, pics please. Of, course when you get them.

Welcome to the site, jewboy. :D

Like has been said already, The 395 (394 in my case) is a good saw. The 3120 is about 30% larger in displacement. That turns a lot more torque out. I've personally never used one, but I've milled a few locust logs with my 394. It is as hard and as dense as people say it is. Sharpen every couple slabs & you won't get (as) ticked off at how slow it goes. Also, wear dust protection, b/c it turns into powder even with a sharp chain. Like others have already stated, if money were no object........Personally, I'd have an older 084. I'd rather that than an ms880 b/c of the auxiliary oiler on the older saw, and I don't like the front chain tensioner on bigger huskies, but not enough to buy a new stihl. Even with the PITA tensioner, I love the husky. I wouldn't get rid of the 394, b/c a 25 lbs. saw is not practical for cutting firewood. That said, an 18lbs saw isn't very practical either, when you have a 361 at like 11 or 12 lbs.

thanks

thanks for all the posts guys. the 3120 went for $688 on ebay! i'm kicking myself for not outbidding the guy who won...but i have decided on a smaller saw. i'm looking at a one year old 395xp with a new piston, cyclider port by PR Racing in toledo, dual port muffler and a 390xp with a stage 3 mod by that a member here has for sale. can u guys give me ur opinion about these two saws? which would u choose?

here is the 395:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140155782967&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11

here is the 390:

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=533&cat=6

u guys seem to really know ur shyt and i apprectiate ur feedback. thanks! -nick

racing vs work cylinder porting

one more Q: How does a racing port differ from a work saw port. will either one decrease the working life of the saw? i want to keep whatever saw i get for a long time. thanks-nick

I don't know a huge amount about porting, but a race port is not what you want for milling, in my limited knowlege. You want a woods port for milling. Also, if you're considering these saws, you should also consider that .404 chain is going to have a little wider kerf than .375 or .325, so you'll have to replace the bar tips for the 395's bars. Also, you need a roller tip, IMHO for milling. You lose a lot of power with a hard tip.

In general terms, there is a "race port" and a "work" or "woods port". A good work port ads 25-40% to the cut speed without sacrificing engine life. The saw actually runs cooler because of the increased fuel/oil mixture going thru the engine and the exhaust being opened up. A race port adds much more than that but at a substantial cost in engine life.

thanks for all the posts guys. the 3120 went for $688 on ebay! i'm kicking myself for not outbidding the guy who won...but i have decided on a smaller saw. i'm looking at a one year old 395xp with a new piston, cyclider port by PR Racing in toledo, dual port muffler and a 390xp with a stage 3 mod by that a member here has for sale. can u guys give me ur opinion about these two saws? which would u choose?

here is the 395:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140155782967&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11

here is the 390:

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=533&cat=6

u guys seem to really know ur shyt and i apprectiate ur feedback. thanks! -nick

Nice price on the 3120 if it were in good shape. I'll let the Husky guys chime in on the 390/395 question.

Mark

Hey there everyone...I may be a little late to the party on this one...

I'm getting ready to put my 395xp and 36" Granberg up for sale. Nick, if you're still looking, let me know.

Back