395xp carb removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can see in the carb floor plate holes that are lined up with the bolts to get a t wrench in there. one is a half circle above left side of choke lever. 395 has an impulse line so just sandwich some rubber material like an inner tube in between the muffler/cylinder and carb/intake boot. test through impulse passage.

You might have seen my post yesterday. Well it has some scoring on the piston

I see one hole and another that looks like it was never drilledImageUploadedByTapatalk1419962157.238630.jpg

those holes are mostly just left over from the 394 design. the 395 intake can flex enough to be bent up to access the bolts or you can drill out the other hole. the 394 had the solid intake block so you had to use the holes or pull the top end. how much did you pay for it scored like that? looks like it's only a smear in the center and the rest of the piston is healthy. i'd pull it part, clean it up, throw it back together, and run her. that piston still has all the support it needs to remain stable. if you plan to sell it here on AS you have to replace it though cause everyone here will want it as a shelf queen that they need to know is mint or is to picky to run a saw with a little smear even if it won't affect anything once cleaned up. they need a shiny new piston.

Westcoaster90, You would love the 044 piston i just replaced. I should have reused it but wanted to go the new shiny route and see if it made the rest of the saw look better. It didn't. I know your a husky person but if you ever find yourself in need of a good 044 piston let me know, it's yours free of charge. That 395 you helped me out with is still the ugliest saw in the world but still runs better than a new one! I used it a few weeks ago at my grandfather's to cut down some white oak and even he commented on how well it runs.

OP,

Yeah It looks like it was run with a partially clogged airfilter to get the smearing I see on the intake side, I have cleaned up and run worse with fresh rings, if you are going to keep it for yourself I would tune it a tad rich and it will last along time, but if you have money for a new slug and you have it apart may as well get a new Meteor piston W/caber rings & be done with it... B sure to chamfer/clean up all the aluminum transfer in the port windows where the scoring is b4 you put back 2gther. besides if you decide to sell it it will bring more jing W/fresh piston.... The are awesome saws!!! but if u cant spare the coin a clean up on the piston and jug will make it last along time just like it is,,, and the ball end allens do work well for pulling carb bolts

Westcoaster90, You would love the 044 piston i just replaced. I should have reused it but wanted to go the new shiny route and see if it made the rest of the saw look better. It didn't. I know your a husky person but if you ever find yourself in need of a good 044 piston let me know, it's yours free of charge. That 395 you helped me out with is still the ugliest saw in the world but still runs better than a new one! I used it a few weeks ago at my grandfather's to cut down some white oak and even he commented on how well it runs.

very thoughtful of you bud. only thing is i bet you got like 9 PM's from AS vultures already just for mentioning it in public LOL. i learned not to do that a long time ago. ;)

Nope, not a one.

wait for it. LOL i did exaggerate a bit. just don't post anything very desirable in the open forum. it'll be all over then. if you wanna send that piston away i'll take it :) never know when i'll end up with my next 044. been a few years for me.

Back