395xp compared to a ms 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let the numbers speak:

395_660.jpg

The 660 is leighter, stronger, vibrates less, and in Denmark costs less.

A smart man said "there are lies, dammed lies, and then there are statistics"

So, have you actually cut down a bunch of trees with both, or are you a book cutter?

I have worked with both, but not much. I mostly work with smaller saws (look at the list of saws I own).

The school where I teach forestry owns a 395xpg and I have worked with a friends 660 a couple of times.

I absolutely prefer the 660 and its going to be my next purchase (and my first Stihl saw).

I also cut books and when the discussion is about vibrations I think its a good idea to look at the specs. The vibrations are MUCH better on the 660! Any vibrations above 5 m/s2 is to be taken seriously.

I also cut books and when the discussion is about vibrations I think its a good idea to look at the specs. The vibrations are MUCH better on the 660! Any vibrations above 5 m/s2 is to be taken seriously.

It's simply nonsense.

I am not saying the 660 is not a great saw (it is), but to say it's smooth and the 395 is a dangerous vibrator is far from actuality.

Last edited:
Well that was not exactly what I meant. I'm Danish so English is not my first language, so please excuse me if I'm not totally clear i speech.

Have a look on this link:
HTML:
http://www.milwaukeetoolvibration.com/internet/METAVSWEB.nsf/vwPages/GBHand-Arm-Vibration-Vibration-exposure?OpenDocument&nav1=Hand-Arm-Vibration-Vibration-exposure

All I said was that I liked the 660 better and that it vibrates less, and vibrations above 5 m/s2 is to be taken seriously.

I have both a 660 stihl and a 395xpgw, they are both great saws, and each one fills a niche for me. The 395 I use when felling or bucking on flat ground and the 660 is saved for the steep strips cause it is lighter but still has good stump power.

I really don't know why this clutch thing is a big deal???? One of my favorite Stihl saws has and outboard clutch the 200T and you never hear anybody complain about it?? Why is that??? Because it's a Stihl?

Good point, I dunno. I'm not a climber so have no use for a 200T, but I guess if the price for the power/weight/nimbleness package was an outboard clutch I'd have to deal with it. Granted, it's not brain surgery to remove the plug, stuff in some rope, and remove the clutch to change a rim, but with an inboard clutch you don't have to do any of that, just pop the E-clip and change the rim. It's nice -- nice enough to be worth a bit of a tradeoff elsewhere. A guy who is sensitive to vibes might accept the outboard clutch in exchange for fewer vibes and would prefer the 395xp, I'm more the opposite so I've got the 660.

Jack

+1

Outboard clutch not that big a deal although Stihl tensioner is the best. Swapping sprockets is the main disadvantage.

Funny how folks complain about the outboard clutch on the 395 more than on the 346.

To some, an outboard clutch on a falling saw is a big deal.

Pinch the bar on the 660, two minutes later you can have the powerhead in your hands and out of harms way.

Not so with the 395. Gotta break the chain to get the PH off.

I've never run a 395 (only picked one up...ugh) but if you put a nice 660 and a nice 395 in the Trading Post side by side at a good price. The Stihl will be sold LONG before the Husky. There has to be a reason for that. Now if we were talking 390XP, then all bets are off.

Id say its because theres to many stihl heads around.:monkey:

ha ha ha, was thinking the same thing.

More like Brainwashed StihlHeads!!

Hey, I'm not brainwashed:laugh:, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this week.

I looked at 660's and 395's, the reason I got the 395 was because someone wanted to sell it for a good deal, and I couldnt find any deals at the time for a 660 or 066.

Doesn't that pretty much tell you everything you want to know about which one is more desirable. I'ld trade my 395 for an equal condition 660 if one was out there...no love for the clutch and chain adjuster...and it feels "bulky" to me. The 660 just feels better in my hands. The Clutch overrides any benefit of the anti-vibe for me.

I personally hate the outboard clutch. And front chain adjusters.

Not the reason I didn't buy husky. I just like my Stihl's and can run it all day without any vibration problems.

DO you were gloves when your runnign saws?

I really don't know why this clutch thing is a big deal???? One of my favorite Stihl saws has and outboard clutch the 200T and you never hear anybody complain about it?? Why is that??? Because it's a Stihl?

Because you are not trying to wiggle a 36" bar and chain on a MS200t. And a 200t is worth any minor grief it gives you because it is so superior to it's competition. the spread between a 395 and a 660 isn't big enough to warrent the grief of the outboard for me. IMHO

Latest posts

Back