395xp compared to a ms 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J@RCA

Reaction score
I currently own a 262XP Husky and i am thinking about upgrading to a
395XP or a MS660, does anyone have any thoughts on which may be
the better saw?

You can type that into the search over on the right under your name and read for hours.
I had a ms 660 for a little while. They have good power but vibrate more than the huskys. The filtration on the husky will stay cleaner longer. The 660 has an inboard clutch, the 395 an outboard.
I have a 390xp that I like pretty good. I would like to try out a 395xp myself.

Similar weight, similar power and similar price. The main gripes about the 395xp are the outboard clutch and the front mount chain tensioner. Main gripes about the ms660 are the anemic oiler, lackluster air filter and the piss poor anti-vibe. The vibrations off of the ms660 are a bit of a personal issue. If you can take the vibes off of that Reynaud mill, go for the saw with the best dealer price and support in your area. Good luck with your choice.

:deadhorse: and a hornets nest...

OK. Enough is enough. For those that think the 660 has poor vibe control it must be a hard life . I have run Stihl saws for years and the 660 for hours on end. My hands never bothered me. I ran a 4" angle grinder at work for three hours and my hands hurt for three days.

If you are the guy saying the 660 has poor vibration control, you are the same guy saying " This Cadillac rides like ****, the Lincoln rides way better!"

Last edited:
i dont think my 066 vibrates much at all. i actualy think it vibrates lots less then the ms 310.

The one I had left me feeling like I was still running it for 15 minutes after I quit running it. I might try one again to see if I had one with a wore out av mounts.

maybe my mounts are wore out? makn it smooth

Sometimes a bent forehandle on any saw will defeat the anti vibe. I'd go for the 066, they keep there value alot longer than a big ole 395. If you really want a Husky, you'd be happy with the 372 or 385.
Gypo

I can run a 6" Metabo brand grinder for several hours without the numb feeling. A 9" wildcat will give me the same feeling the 660 did. It may just be the level I guess of the vibrations.

Ever get a stick or a piece of bark in one of the anti vibe springs on a saw? Takes out all the anti vibe features. Hate when that happens.:cheers:

My very first saw was a used 066 back in '02. Had a ton of ass and it didn't vibrate as much as everyone says they do - with that being said it's not like running a 7900, a 372, or a 441. But I never had any issues with discomfort and I ran the saw a lot on a regular basis.

Last edited:
ive bucked up alot of wood with my 066 and havent had the stinging tingling feeling like i was just running a jack hammer for hours. and i have ran jack hammers for hours. or heck the concrete saw. i hat ehte stihl conrete saws with a passion i hate them. i hate them. vibrateing back breaking devil tools

:deadhorse: and a hornets nest...

OK. Enough is enough. For those that think the 660 has poor vibe control it must be a hard life . I have run Stihl saws for years and the 660 for hours on end. My hands never bothered me. I ran a 4" angle grinder at work for three hours and my hands hurt for three days.

If you are the guy saying the 660 has poor vibration control, you are the same guy saying " This Cadillac rides like ****, the Lincoln rides way better!"

Easy there T, remember you got to consider the sources of these tales. You know how these so called experts are, someone told em so it must be true, kinda like the National Enquire. Hell I read a story in the Enquire about a how the quality of Stihl was going to hell because the reporter read a story about a cylinder,haha. It went on to say they couldn't understand how Stihl did better in 09 than everyone else. I think maybe people are smarter than most think, ya know what I mean, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I can tell the difference in anti-vibe but I don't think it is enough to write home about.

IMHO. I would save 2 lbs over the 395 and get a 390 and have it ported. And I would also recommend a reduced weight bar for the 390.

I asked the same questions when I fist started talking about porting a 90+ cc saw. I chose the sling'r 390 and have never regretted the choice.

I owned a 660 for a year.
I ran a 394 with a tree service I worked with.
And now I own a 390.

Hope that helps, lighter weight with the same or more power was my choice.

I was never bothered by vibration from an 066. I used to cut firwood all day with mine. I never was bothered by any of the hard rubber mouted stihls. But huskys that are spring mounted are smoother than the older stihls like 066, 046, 044 etc or 660, 460,440 etc.

I can tell the difference in anti-vibe but I don't think it is enough to write home about.

IMHO. I would save 2 lbs over the 395 and get a 390 and have it ported. And I would also recommend a reduced weight bar for the 390.

I asked the same questions when I fist started talking about porting a 90+ cc saw. I chose the sling'r 390 and have never regretted the choice.

I owned a 660 for a year.
I ran a 394 with a tree service I worked with.
And now I own a 390.

Hope that helps, lighter weight with the same or more power was my choice.

I agree with this.
A ported 390 is more than most need and have a great power to weight ratio with excellent filtration.

Having never ran an 066/660, I couldn't comment but couldn't see them being too bad as they wouldn't be so popular.

I have not ran a 660, but I do own a 395. I like it, its a big saw, but it is smooth, and has a ton of power. There is no stopping the thing.

I looked at 660's and 395's, the reason I got the 395 was because someone wanted to sell it for a good deal, and I couldnt find any deals at the time for a 660 or 066.

I've owned both, maybe there was something wrong with the 066, but it killed my hands. Without a dought the 395 is way smoother of a saw then the 066, the only thing the 066 has on the 395 in the inboard clutch, and to me that's not that big of a deal. The better air filtration alone sells it for me. I have 2 394's, and 1 395, and 1 project 395, so you can see that I like them allot.

The 660 has been dead reliable for us, anyone who thinks they vibrate bad needs to get a life, get ahold of an old xl-12 for a few hours. The 660 is plenty smooth, hell it's not like anyone runs one for hours on end without setting the saw down every once in a while. In my area it's all you see the oak logger's run, either 460's or 660's.

Back