4 banger Toyota pickup as a wood hauler? (Show me your Toyota hauling!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has the 3.4 V6 and from what I am told at some point the got ride of the belts and went to gears or a chain, I don't remember. When I hit 100,000 I had it gone through and tuned up that's when I thought I would do the timing belt but they said they changed that. Mine has had so problems but nothing major. 45,000 miles, do you drive anywhere? Bringing it to an x toyota worker tomorrow for new rotors and a wine in the rear end I will ask about the timing belt again.

I do all my scrounging with my 2006 taco 4x4. I know the 2005s and beyond have timing chains. The scrounging has been good to me this year. I have hauled more loads thani can count. A couple years ago when i was buying wood, my wood guypulled a trailer with taco that looked just like the original poster's.

4 cylinder toyotas rule. I have an 04 tacoma reg cab 4x4. I love it. My requirements when buying a truck are simple:

1. Standard transmission

2. Manual crank windows and manually operated door locks.

Since most truck companies just sell automatic trucks full of tons of electronical bull####, i was glad to find the Tacoma. No metrosexual trucks for me, thanks.

Bought it at 60k, have 113k now. Zero problems of course. I did replace the leaf springs with 2.5" lift skyjackers after i completely used up the stock ones. Put 2 inch lift spacers on the front to level it out. I pull a 6x12 landscaping trailer with it all the time. Won't win many races, but i know what's gonna happen when i turn the key. Every time. Don't wanna post a pic because i have stalkers on this site that would fap to a pic of my truck. Toyota rules.:rock:

Fap away stalkers!
IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

My '92 Toy has been the best little motorized wheelbarrow I've ever owned. Uses about 1qt of oil per change, and has a sensor (TPS I think) going out, but has been dead reliable otherwise. 159K, 2wd, 22RE/5spd. It's a complete stripper, armstrong steering, 2 1/4-60 AC (Both side windows and wings open, 60mph) vinyl everything, no tilt/cruise, manual windows/locks. I got it for $700 from my BIL who makes substantially more than my E-5 pay and couldn't stand it's inconveniences and lack of 4wd. I'll get an 87-94 Taco 4wd at some point, but I need a S.S. right now which is about the same price as a decent Taco around these parts. Now if I could only find one with the 2L-TE or newer 4cyl Turbo-diesel engine....:bang: It may have a set of Hellwig or Timbren helpers in it's future, as well as slotted/cross-drilled rotors for some addt'l whoa. I'm not concerned about the lack of go, but if I ever am, I'll swap in a pwr steering rack, V-6 rear end and then a 4.3 V6/NV4500 and be done with it.

I do all my scrounging with my 2006 taco 4x4. I know the 2005s and beyond have timing chains. The scrounging has been good to me this year. I have hauled more loads thani can count. A couple years ago when i was buying wood, my wood guypulled a trailer with taco that looked just like the original poster's.

The 3rz motor in my 2004 2.7 Tacoma indeed has a timing chain. What motor is in your truck?

I hauled plenty of wood in this little Nissan over the years. I must admit most of the hauling from my wood cutting area to home was down hill. Wouldn't maintain highway speed uphill even without a load and putting some wood in it cut that back quite a bit. By the way this just had a little four cylinder motor.

I bought the trailer when I got tired of climbing into the canopy. My concern with it was getting too much of a load and brake issues on the long downhill run. I kept the loads light and never a problem.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I used to have a 1996 nissan 4 banger reg cab from 96 til about 2005. Until it became a little to intimate with a Jeep liberty.:cry::mad:

Yo ancy:

Does that T100 have the 3.4 V6?

I've got a 1996 with the 3.4 engine and I haven't touched anything on it other than tires, batteries and fluids. Mine only has 45K miles on it and is in excellent condition. I haven't spent a dime on repairs in fifteen years but since the truck is getting long in the tooth, I'm thinking that maybe I should be carrying out some of the preventative maintenance and in particular, the timing belt. From what I've read, if one is changing the timing belt, they should also change the water pump. Problem is that the truck has been such a great vehicle, I'm a bit reluctant to bring to Toyota to have it worked on. If I do bring it in, it will be to a Toyota dealership. Might cost more but I'm confident they're probably the best people to do the work.

The external serpentine belt still looks like new hence my reluctance to mess with the timing belt. However, I'm fully aware that if the timing belt let's go, there will be serious consequences.

Have you had the timing belt changed on yours? Anyone else out there with the 3.4 V6 who hasn't changed the timing belt as per maintenance schedule (5 years/90K miles, whichever comes first)?

Last year i was bull S'ting with a guy that is certified as specializing in toyota and owns a shop. I asked him if he'd had any 3rz 4 banger trucks blow a timing chain. He said none. He's been open 15 years.

I vote that you stay in the 7.3 family and get your wife an excursion, the King of SUVs! At least you'll be able to pull some serious trailers with it if you need to.

yancy:

As far as I know, all of the T-100 3.4 liter V6 (5VZ-FE) engines have a timing belt. According to the service schedule the belt is supposed to be changed at 90K miles or five years. The good news is that the engine is a non-interference design. Meaning that if the belt breaks, the vehicle stops but you don't end up with valves in the piston. With that knowledge, I'm not so sure that I'm in a hurry to get the belt changed now.

As far as driving the truck, I use it for going to camp/bush mostly or if I need to pick up something that won't fit in a car. Otherwise, I use the wife's Camry or one of my bikes.

I vote that you stay in the 7.3 family and get your wife an excursion, the King of SUVs! At least you'll be able to pull some serious trailers with it if you need to.

:hmm3grin2orange: I want an EX sooooo bad...it's just not in the budget though. I figure I can raise enough cash with the sale of the 7.3L that I can get her into something with a nice low payment/short payoff period. Then in a couple of years when that's paid off and we have a little more money in the bank I'll go on the hunt for an '07-'08 F-350 DRW Crew Cab.

:hmm3grin2orange: I want an EX sooooo bad...it's just not in the budget though. I figure I can raise enough cash with the sale of the 7.3L that I can get her into something with a nice low payment/short payoff period. Then in a couple of years when that's paid off and we have a little more money in the bank I'll go on the hunt for an '07-'08 F-350 DRW Crew Cab.

Good lord why? That has the lousy 6 leaker engine. The newer 6.4 was even worse. There are nice 7.3 duallies around that are being well preserved by old people hauling 5th wheels to AZ every year.

View attachment 204427View attachment 204427

94 Xtra-cab, 31x10.50 tires, stock suspension, 22RE, 5 speed, 349,000 miles(new crate engine at 328,000 due to water pump failure resulting in major overheating and head failure). I've lost count hou much wood I've haulled in this, all my wood since '96. With the flat pieces as improvised racks and careful stacking I can haul a rick along with my saw, gas, oil and an axe or 3. Thats my 288xp between the wood and the cab. cut and busted 7 ricks this past Sat., hauled 5 that way.

Good lord why? That has the lousy 6 leaker engine. The newer 6.4 was even worse. There are nice 7.3 duallies around that are being well preserved by old people hauling 5th wheels to AZ every year.

I figure by then the 7.3Ls that are left will be pretty tired, it might be possible to find a decent one though. The first year 6.0L was a nightmare but the subsequent years were fine.

Yea, that's my truck. I painted those stock steel rims flat black after sanding them down. Looks good contrasting the white paint. Timelessly utilitarian. How much was that awesome headache rack? :rock:

Black rims look good, it's on my to do list. That rack was about 650$. With the headache rack and the full coating of Line-x I can toss splits in from 20 feet away without worrying too much.

I like big trucks, but in the woods here in the Ozarks a Toyota 4x4 works for me. I can snake this thing through the woods where a fullsize truck can not go.

Here's my 94 wood hauler with 265,000 miles, all original, only work done was a timing belt, starter and front brakes. Still has org clutch and rear brakes. :)

Toyota1.jpg

A friend of mine had that exact toyota in the blue color. We pulled a lexus out of a ditch with it in a snowstorm:rock: An elderly lady ran into it and totalled it. He was destroyed. He'd been talking about how he wanted to take it to at least 600k.

I posted these pictures in the "Wood Hauler" thread:

haulinwood_1s.jpg

July_2010_bed_raised_small.jpg

I've got a modified 22RTE turbo engine under the hood and 3.90 gears (stock were 4.10) for a little better mileage. The rear springs consist of a stock replacement main leaf and leaves pulled from the spring pack of a 91 2WD 1/2 ton Chevy then shortened to fit the Toyota main leaf. I put plastic spring slides between the leaves and the truck rides far better than it ever did stock. I was worried about the axle but after looking up every part in an 89 1 ton single wheel rear axle and comparing them to the parts in my 4wd axle, no worries there. Toyota builds the 4wd axle the same as the 1 ton. But if there are problems I'll find a Ford 9" with 3.90 gears to install. The truck will consistently haul more wood than the brakes should be trying to stop so I may have to do something there. You can read more about the truck here: 1991 Toyota Pickup

Overall your truck doesn't look like a typical rusty Toyota from this area. Check the frame where the front hangers for the rear springs are attached. That's a common place to find rust, esp. on the passenger side. The section of the frame around the round brace over the rear axle is typical, but be sure and check the round brace for rust. The countershaft bearings in the trans will fail with high mileage and it's exaggerated with heavy loads. You can hear it as whining in every gear except 4th. I've got 200k+ on my truck and the trans is on the way out. It makes more noise on the highway than the tires and I have to hold it in 1st gear when taking off. I have a replacement trans waiting to go in after wood gathering is over. You want to haul a trailer but I'm not sure the trailer should carry much weight. The truck is light enough in the rear that a heavy trailer could push it around pretty good. But maybe a small trailer for tools would work. I still don't feel my truck is ready to haul my tandem axle car trailer but maybe I'm just being too cautious.

I'm a GM guy from way back but I've owned 3 Yotas and none of them have let me down. I'm sure yours will work hard if you ask it to haul wood.

Last edited:
As you can tell from my handle I love my Powerstroke (International) diesel, but its a regular cab which doesn't really work that well with a growing family and a large breed dog. Long story short the F-350 is going up for sale in order to finance a kiddie mover (Ford Escape probably) for the wife that will give us, two car seats, and the dog (cargo area) some breathing room on long trips. I will take over driving my wife's Corolla to work which is an 80 mile round trip so I'll see a major reduction in fuel bills :clap: I still need to be able to move firewood though-that's where my old Toyota truck comes in. I inherited it when my uncle passed away-160K on the truck but only 90K or so on the 22RE because the timing belt let go at one point which destroyed the valve train and a few pistons so he had it rebuilt. Mechanically it's pretty solid but it needs a clutch, new rear main seal, shocks, brakes, basic tune-up, etc... The 5 speed trans is good as is the transfer case/hubs. The plan is once we get our vehicle situation straightened out to give the 'Yota a little TLC in the form of rust repair, new wheels and tires, and other small stuff. Basically I want to set it up as a go anywhere woodhauler with a small box (don't want to lose too much bed space) for my saws and other stuff, and a good hitch to pull a 4x8 single axle trailer. If I can set it up to haul a full cord between the bed and trailer I'll be happy. There was a thread a long time ago about guys who haul with four cylinders, so how about a thread for Toyota woodhaulers! The thing I'm looking forward to most with this truck is how maneuverable it is. In my younger days I would take it wheeling on ATV trails-hell, a decent sized 4x4 quad could pull it out if need be. So let's see those Toyota woodhaulers and tell us what you did to it (power upgrades, brake upgrades, helper springs, airbags, etc...). Here's mine:

Toyota001.jpg

Toyota003.jpg

Here's an example of some of the rust on the frame. I honestly don't think it looks that bad. I once owned a '77 Land Cruiser so I know what bad frame rust looks like :shocked:
Toyota004.jpg

Toyota007.jpg

Toyota010.jpg

Toyota009.jpg
Had one just like it! A '90. Got it on internet from a kid in RI. Had less than 100,000 miles. Used it for 6 yrs getting wood. Great on the dirt biker trails. Traded it in on the wifes 2002. 3rd one but they're skimping on the carbon in the steel. Toyota replaced the whole frame. Cost them $12,000!

Latest posts

Back