4 banger Toyota pickup as a wood hauler? (Show me your Toyota hauling!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 85 Toyota truck with approximately 130K, original miles. It's been a great little truck for me. The only thing I've pulled with it is my splitter, so I can't vouch for anything larger. But, this truck has done everything I have asked it to do. It is the only thing I have for hauling wood and it's amazing what I can get into it. I believe, however, the R22 has a timing chain, not a timing belt as previously mentioned. I bought her from a friend apprixomately 9 years ago. Paid $500 and put about $600 more into her (brakes, tailgate, new belts, etc.)
These are great little work horses.

Torsion bar lift

How do you do that and how much lift does it give you? Would you be able to run 33s just by doing that? I was thinking of just doing an add-a-leaf in the rear.

I'll look for the information, if you could add a leaf, or add a block in the rear, you might be able to run 33's.
you'd measure from the upper lip of the rim to the fender, from the factory it measures 13 inches, then tweek it up to 17 inches. But let me look for the info first

You've probably seen that these trucks came with 31's from the factory. Most of those had 4.56s but a select few got 4.88 gears. IMO if you're doing highway driving you're better off with a narrow tire. Years ago I had a truck with fairly small dia but wide tires and the 22R carbed engine couldn't ever get past 60 without drafting a semi.
Uglytrk1.jpg

Uglytrk2.jpg

Uglytrk6.jpg

Uglytrk7.jpg

Here's a recent load with my new Taco. There's plenty of good opportunities for free wood after some recent storm damage. I don't use a trailer frequently enough to buy one so I rent a Uhaul for $20/day whenever I need some extra hauling space.

IMG_1427.JPG

FYI, my friend has a truck similar to your inherited one, he was just offered $7000+ from Toyota to buy it back as part of a recall on the rusty frame issue on those trucks. They figured 1.5 times market value and that was the payout, I haven't heard if he has gone through with it but you may want to look into it.

Here's an example of some of the rust on the frame. I honestly don't think it looks that bad. I once owned a '77 Land Cruiser so I know what bad frame rust looks like :shocked:
Toyota004.jpg

Well this is my 1983 pickup. It's not much but it does it's job, which is start and run every time I get in it and get me from a to b. This is not a very big load but it seems to feel the best driving down the road.
DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

Well this is my 1983 pickup. It's not much but it does it's job, which is start and run every time I get in it and get me from a to b. This is not a very big load but it seems to feel the best driving down the road.
DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

This is a buddy of mine's '85 Toyota, he let me borrow it one day to haul some wood!View attachment 207290
Great Trucks!!! Had an '88 that was incredible. Put 285,000 on it and gave it to a friend. He drove it for 6 more years!! That 22R motor was the best one Toyota ever made. Don't know if they're still making it.

I have a GMC 1500 I use in the spring for getting wood, but gas is a beotch in that big ride, so it's back to using my old 94 4-banger 'Yota. 180K miles, it's my winter ride. I load it with cinderblocks on snowy days, and I love the thing. 4th gear went out in her 3 years ago, but she still hauls wood like a champ! :rock:

Pic of her while getting gas:

View attachment 211769

I have a GMC 1500 I use in the spring for getting wood, but gas is a beotch in that big ride, so it's back to using my old 94 4-banger 'Yota. 180K miles, it's my winter ride. I load it with cinderblocks on snowy days, and I love the thing. 4th gear went out in her 3 years ago, but she still hauls wood like a champ! :rock:

Pic of her while getting gas:

211769d1324070037-111130_104037-jpg

good thing no cops drove by the gas station ! :biggrin:

seriously though, how about a couple $5 ratchet straps to secure the load a bit? seems like a couple bumps in the road could easily knock a few of those logs off

View attachment 207373View attachment 207374 its not a toilet slide, but heres what my little 93 ford ranger splash carries daily with a 4 cyl. 5 spd .. easy on the back and gas money!

Wow, you loaded that sumbeech up... :rock: Bet she's a little light on the front, eh?

Myself, I drive my 96 Ranger... haven't hauled anything heavy in it, yet. I'm thinking it might suck balls with the 3.slow but bulletproof and 3.73 gears... pushing 31" tires... might have to go into low range. Problem is I can't unlock the hubs at will... :bang:

Gotta get me a set of Milemarker locking hubs and the conversion kit ASAP. Is 250 bucks a good deal for a brand new set of hubs and the conversion kit?

4 banger Toyota pickup as a wood hauler? (Show me your Toyota hauling!)

I don't have many wood haulin pics over the years, but here's a few. 1995 Toyota Tacoma 3 1/2 inch lift, Skyjacker rear springs. Manual locking hubs. The BIG four banger 2.7!!! Had 33s on it, but went back down to the stock 31s.

Wow, you loaded that sumbeech up... :rock: Bet she's a little light on the front, eh?

Myself, I drive my 96 Ranger... haven't hauled anything heavy in it, yet. I'm thinking it might suck balls with the 3.slow but bulletproof and 3.73 gears... pushing 31" tires... might have to go into low range. Problem is I can't unlock the hubs at will... :bang:

Gotta get me a set of Milemarker locking hubs and the conversion kit ASAP. Is 250 bucks a good deal for a brand new set of hubs and the conversion kit?

guess i forgot to mention its only 2 wheel drive with 3.45 gears... did change over to steel wheels and 22575r/14 tires for better floation on the boggy ground where haveing this warm winter. also loaded heavy to the front she a cake walk.

Latest posts

Back