40:1, 50:1 does it matter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, the 100:1 Amsoil is a special synthetic oil designed for 100:1 mix. I wouldnt try mixing just any oil at 100:1.

If I was after the most power out of an engine(racing), I may try it. It should, theoretically allow more gas to get burned and produce more energy. Gas has more energy than oil. So more gas and less oil should give more power. But there must be a fine line there somewhere......

I do not use 100:1. I figure the extra cost of the "special" oil evens out any $$ savings and Im not racing anyone.

I would love to see a test with 2 identical saws, 1 running the 100:1 and one the factory recommended mix. Maybe even another saw running extra oil. Tear them down after an equal amount of hours/work and see what they look like. It would be tough to control all the conditions in the experiment.

Any volunteers? I think this is why we dont see a lot of DATA on this type of issue.
In any 2 smoke motor (tuned correctly) more oil within reason =more power the longer the throttle is WO the more oil is better, read the tuning guru's books info etc. the modern trend of minute quantities of oil in the mix is purely an emissions thing & saved a saw redesign to comply, & of course if the saw "croaks" so long as it's out of warranty the manufacturer is rubbing his/her hands sale of new saw/replacement parts paid for by the owner we did a strip check on two saws used for money making logging both more or less equal hours 1 running the stated mix & 1 running 32/1 the 32/1 saw had a much better looking bottom end less wear on cyl, piston.ring etc & was the preferred saw of the 3 fallers we employ personally I would never fire up a saw with a mix north of 40/1 but prefer 32/1 But each to his own as you will get folk swearing by 50 & north to 1mix as being the way to go

That doesnt make sense to me.

When manufactures, like Stihl, Echo and others...who make Chain Saws, Weed Whackers. Blowers and more...and who make oil...

WHy would they say 50:1, so they lose money and dont sell as much oil.

I am not saying i am right your wrong, but by common sense your logic or statement doesnt make sense.

Canyon
They say 50:1 so that way the saw wears out sooner and you have to go buy a new one every year and they make a good chunk of money from you.

In any 2 smoke motor (tuned correctly) more oil within reason =more power the longer the throttle is WO the more oil is better, read the tuning guru's books info etc. the modern trend of minute quantities of oil in the mix is purely an emissions thing & saved a saw redesign to comply, & of course if the saw "croaks" so long as it's out of warranty the manufacturer is rubbing his/her hands sale of new saw/replacement parts paid for by the owner we did a strip check on two saws used for money making logging both more or less equal hours 1 running the stated mix & 1 running 32/1 the 32/1 saw had a much better looking bottom end less wear on cyl, piston.ring etc & was the preferred saw of the 3 fallers we employ personally I would never fire up a saw with a mix north of 40/1 but prefer 32/1 But each to his own as you will get folk swearing by 50 & north to 1mix as being the way to go
I like you're logic that's how I feel although I do run 40:1 most of the time but if I know my saw will be worked hard all day they both will be ran at 32:1.............

I wonder about the accuracy of pumps sometimes at some stations. One I go to near my house gives me about 4.5 gallons non-E when the meter says 5.00. I’ve compared this tank at other stations and when the meter says 5 it’s right there at 5 gallons mark. I imagine however the pump is calibrated it would be biased in favor of the station. So I am not anal about it from the rip-off station and go ahead mix 40:1 based on what the meter showed.

I wonder about the accuracy of pumps sometimes at some stations. One I go to near my house gives me about 4.5 gallons non-E when the meter says 5.00. I’ve compared this tank at other stations and when the meter says 5 it’s right there at 5 gallons mark. I imagine however the pump is calibrated it would be biased in favor of the station. So I am not anal about it from the rip-off station and go ahead mix 40:1 based on what the meter showed.
I would assume the US is the same as in France the Gov dept checks the amount of fuel delivered to the buyers is correct to the pump reading I'm not sure the calibrated difference allowed between readout & quantity but know it's minute & the general set up is 1gallon on the readout =1gallon delivered & if the pumps are not checked every set time period then that pump is taken out of service until calibrated & certified

I wonder about the accuracy of pumps sometimes at some stations. One I go to near my house gives me about 4.5 gallons non-E when the meter says 5.00.

Huh, that's interesting. FWIW, I've heard that you should buy gasoline in 5-gallon increments (exactly 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 gallons) because the Weights and Measures officials do their checks based on 5 gallons, and although the pump might be off when claiming to dispense 3.8 gallons or 16.1 gallons, it shouldn't be off with multiples of five. But, your experience suggests that this isn't true!

Has anyone ran the M-Tronic Stihls on 40:1 ? I'm all for extending my saws life. I've just always used whatever the manual said to use, which in this case is 50:1.
I run 40:1 to 32:1 in my 661 which is used for milling only. That automatic adjuster keeps the saw putting out the same range of power as close as I can tell with my limited experience/sense. The oil seems to not burn thereby modifying the air to fuel ratio as seen by m-tronic sensors. Mine has a ported cylinder and muf-modded which adds another variable that is not standard from the factory as directed by the EPA. The only trouble I have is first start after ten or more days tied with a change in weather conditions that the sensers seem to need a few pulls to readjust to the new conditions. After drop start with the end of the mill on the log, restarts occur with the mill on the ladder support, generally first pull.

I have a question now. I just mixed up a fresh gallon of 89 no ethanol. I used one of the small bottles of Stihl Ultra to 1 gallon for 50:1. How much more oil do I need to add for 40:1? I'd rather run my saws on the safe side if you guys are sure it won't effect the M-Tronics.

Edit:I think I have it.

2.6 oz in 128oz is 50:1
3.2 oz is 40:1

I added 17 ml more, 30ml per oz.

I have a question now. I just mixed up a fresh gallon of 89 no ethanol. I used one of the small bottles of Stihl Ultra to 1 gallon for 50:1. How much more oil do I need to add for 40:1? I'd rather run my saws on the safe side if you guys are sure it won't effect the M-Tronics.

So now I need to measure 0.6 oz some how
Another 1/4 of a bottle or just a tad over a 1/4 of a bottle will get you close.

I added 17 ml more, 30ml per oz.
It’s easier to get .8 gallon for the bottle.....

It’s easier to get .8 gallon for the bottle.....

From now on I will. I'm all for preserving the life of my saws, especially my new 241 and the 461 I'm about to buy. The MS360 needs tore down anyway, but that doesn't mean I want to destroy it. Thanks to whoever started this topic originally. I would have never know 40:1 was safe.

From now on I will. I'm all for preserving the life of my saws, especially my new 241 and the 461 I'm about to buy. The MS360 needs tore down anyway, but that doesn't mean I want to destroy it. Thanks to whoever started this topic originally. I would have never know 40:1 was safe.

With all the “5gallon” container of oil just get 4 gallons.
If you buy oil by the quart......1/2 the bottle to 5 gallons.
All 40:1 and no eyeballing ounces

Just curious, how much residual fuel is involved for the first few seconds after cold start? Could the lighter components of fuel be driven off after previous shutdown leaving a more concentrated heavy fraction of the mixture? I ask this because smoking at cold startup has always been there to some degree with my equipment even when ran 50:1.

I know these questions beg one to ask if I might have something better to do with my life, but I feel like crap and is all I can muster for the distraction.

Latest posts

Back