404 .050 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What length do you need? I found two used .o5o - 404 chains One is 62 drives 5% left of chain - $2.00. Second is 64 drives 50% left $15.00. pus shipping. Reglr chin not skip tooth.
They are too small. I ordered a 3/8 sprocket and chain. Gonna make my life easier in the future

At the time 404 was still widely used heck they were still cutting old growth out here then.

Do you really need that big of a saw for that short of a bar? Probably not it’s more of a kick back risk especially if it’s a newer power head that spins more rpms. Take a 395 I’ll run up to a 60” bar on one for the here and there either place with no footing or oversized/special order tree that needs to come out of a stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try a 2100 or your 395 with a 16”/18” bar in smaller diameter hardwoods. Up the rim one size and set the rakers deeper. Wow this setup tears trees up.

Try a 2100 or your 395 with a 16”/18” bar in smaller diameter hardwoods. Up the rim one size and set the rakers deeper. Wow this setup tears trees up.

I wouldn’t do that with our alder it’d be a good way to get killed fast bar length is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve switched most of my saws to .404. I just like the way it holds up longer without sharpening. I also have my doubts about it needing significantly more power to pull. The difference in kerf between .404 and 3/8 is minimal. In my own limited experience, .063 .404 just seems to be a better chain. It cuts fast, oils well and lasts longer.

Back